car help and site suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveMc, Apr 17, 2002.

1. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

Well I done broke my car!
    I have a 2001 Ford Mustang and it is now minus a drivers -side mirror [​IMG] I took it to the dealer this morning and they inform me its going to cost 250 to fix. The only thing wrong with it is the plastic casing got snapped and its basically hanging there by the wires (and some handy duct tape). The mirror itself isn't even scratched, so just the shell that houses it needs replacing. The dealer says they can olny fix it by ordering the entire mirror assembly. So rather than get screwed by my dealer again, can I do it myself?
    I have found one place online to order the assembly (50 cheaper than the dealer too). Where can I find instructions to go about removing the old one (Chilton's??) and installing it? Any good places on the net to find parts? (already looked a bunch but none had the part)

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Or you could buy the Mustang Service Manual (not the Chilton manual or some other POS, but the official Ford shop manual). It costs about $100, but it will tell you how to repair, adjust and replace just about everything on your specific car. It can be ordered from Ford directly, or purchased from a dealer. I strongly recommend you buy this manual before attempting the repair yourself.

4. SteveMc

ok, here's a question. Some places I am looking at don't list parts as driver/passenger side but left/right. Which is left and right...i would think left would be driver, but i don't know.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Will your auto insurance cover this under comprehensive coverage? I had a mirror damaged on my old Camry in the parking lot at work, and State Farm picked up the entire bill (I have a $0 deductible on comprehensive).

6. SteveMc

No. I have a 250 deductable. This actually happened back in October, I just haven't fixed it yet since the duct tape held so well. Now that its getting warmer though and the tape won't hold as well. Anyways, I had the damage when I switched insurance in Novemeber and they knew of the damage so they probably wouldn't cover it any way. Besides the last time I made a claim on my car they charged me with an At Fault accident and put three points on my insurance. I'd rather not deal with them if the cost is only a couple hundred bucks.