Car failed smog...registration expired...not going to fix it...what to do with it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Burk, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Well, my 89 Honda Accord with 215k miles just failed the smog check, and the registration is expired. I've bought a new car, but now what do I do with the Honda?

-Can I sell it on Ebay? (obviously, I would be totally up-front and honest about everything wrong with the car)

-Donate it to charity and get the tax deduction?

-Sell it to a junk yard?

Any other options? Other than failing the smog check, it seems to be in pretty good condition, although the clutch will soon need work.

2. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Good old California. When I was living there I had a hot-rodded BMW 3.0S that was unsmoggable, but I knew a mechanic who would certify it for me. Then he got caught doing it for someone else. My options after that were the same as yours so I parted out what I could and hauled the rest to the bone yard. It was a collosal waste of a once great car, but I didn't have the time or energy to sell it in another state and with 250K on the clock I felt I'd gotten my money's worth out of it.

How much work will it take to get it to pass smog?

1. I don't know much about how Ebay-able it would be.

#2. Might be a good option if they'll accept it. They may not if it won't pass smog.

#3. You might try what I did, remove and sell what you can and junk the rest.

3. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Call the junk yard. You may get $400 - 500 for it, as long as it has not been stripped down...

Did that with a '90 Mercury Couger that had blown a head gasget...

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Call the local Goodwill or such and see if they'll take it. That's probably your best option. I tried selling a 1989 Taurus and the junkyard wouldn't give me anything for it, despite having a reasonably good bluebook still. So the tax writeoff is worth something (assuming you itemize--if you don't itemize, it won't help you at all.)

5. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Did it fail really bad or just marginally? There are ways to get another year out of it. Investing a little now and getting it legal is cheaper since putting say 15k miles on an '89 with 215k will be much less $/mile than on a new car. It will come out to thousands of $ savings if you do the math really.

6. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Check out the Kindney Foundation too. I donated a beat up '85 Audi Quattro a few years back and got a $2,500 tax credit. They use the blue book to determine your credit.

Ralph

7. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

WHy did it fail?

what figures where high?

It could be a simple fix and that would be cheaper than a new car

most junk yards will probably tell you that they will not give you anything for it or maybe $50

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

try taking it to carmax.

they took my girlfriend's car - which truly fell into the "hoopdy" (sp?) category. it barely passed smog last round, it has some serious dents, badly worn interior, broken side mirror, leaking radiator fluid, etc.

they gave us 2400 for it! [​IMG]

what was really cool is they didn't make us smog it first.

definitely worth a try...

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Can't you put a big sign on it: "For off road use only" [​IMG]

There are a lot of aftermarket car parts I see that are labelled "for offroad use only", like some of those foglights people use on pickup trucks..

Jay

10. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Have a friend with a 90 - 91? Accord with about the same mileage. He also failed due to high HCC. He passed after replacing plugs, O2 sensor and cat. converter.

11. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

you could donate it... to me!

i'lm looking for a commuter car to get to/from work and it might be worth me fixing if i knew what was wrong w/ it.

drop me a line...seriously. [​IMG]