What's new

Car DVD Receivers. Pricing? (1 Viewer)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I am curious as to why in-car DVD Recievers are so expensive?

What justifies techincally for a alpine DVD/CD/MP3 Reciever be priced at $1,199 (no monitor) while a CD/MP3 receiver is priced at $499.99.

With a price of a home DVD player reaching new lows after each major sale, the prices of the car DVDs have roughly stayed the same.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ray

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Raymond,
I do like Alpine's stuff because it usually is very high quality but it can get over priced.
Which player model are you refering to?
I thought most DVD player head units at that price point, even Alpine, all had 5"-7" motorized pop-up TFT screens.
It also depends wether or not you are looking for a "in-dash" DVD player or a "mountable" DVD player. There are also car DVD players that have DD/DTS decoders built-in which hikes up the cost just as it does for home players.
I have found a nice looking Blaupunkt DVD player at http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DVDME1&o=m&a=0
, it plays DVDs, MP3s, and CDs for less than $400.
I think it's DD/DTS ready but it doesn't have the decoders built-in.
My wife and I started researching mobile video a few weeks ago because we just made the transition from car to mini-van and wanted something to entertain our kids on longer road trips.
I think the prices for mobile video will start dropping in the near future but if you shop a little now I bet you can find what you are looking for at a reasonable price.
Do a search on google.com for "mobile video" and let the fun begin.
Hope this helped a little.
Brian

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Raymond

I just put in the Panasonic 909u, it is DVD-Audio and DTS capable as well as full 5.1 and all the rest. It is a single din size with a very small outboard amp. The sound is amazing. This unit had an MSRP of 1999 but they are going new on ebay for under 500. I highly recommend this unit.

It even has duel zone capablity if you have a cd changer as well. This thing reall kicks butt.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Cool review Doug!! Great to hear that there's such an audible difference in the car, even without name brand amps. What kind of speakers do you have- stock or aftermarket?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Scott

I just replaced the stock speakers with some inexpensive infinities, they were $99 a pair at Circuit City. I was a little worried because I bought the speakers first and wasn't at all impressed with them but as soon as I hooked up the new unit they came to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks