What's new

Car Diagnostic Thingys? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Any of you have one of those things that plug into a port on your vehecle and monitors how you car is running and lets you figure out what diagnostic codes mean

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
FYI. Autozone and similar places will read the codes you have on the car for free if you don't want to buy the gadget.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^This. Or one of my wife's cousins comes to the house and does it for us (he's a Certified Hyundai Mechanic).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have a simple one for most cars, but also the Duramatic set up for my Boxster. It goes in deep and tells you things like how far off "nominal" the camshaft angles are. Things like that. I don't know how you could own a car these days without having some kind of OBD-II tool.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I have a simple one for most cars, but also the Duramatic set up for my Boxster. It goes in deep and tells you things like how far off "nominal" the camshaft angles are. Things like that. I don't know how you could own a car these days without having some kind of OBD-II tool.

:huh:

Why? Even if I had it, how would it help me fix my car? I'd be taking it to a mechanic anyway so why would I waste money to buy such a gadget?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Why? Even if I had it, how would it help me fix my car? I'd be taking it to a mechanic anyway so why would I waste money to buy such a gadget?

I don't have one...but have gone to the auto parts stores on numerous occasions when various idiot lights have had me guessing.

I've almost purchased one on a couple of occasions simply to be armed with information in case the place I brought my car for repair tried to take advantage of me.

And sometimes the information lets you know that you don't really need to go to a mechanic. It might be something as simple as changing a gas tank cap or some such thing.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I have one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html

It cost me about $35 when I bought it - as I got it when it went on sale.

Have a Mini van where the "idiot" light kept coming on. After spending a lot of $$ trying to get the thing fixed - I bought one of these tools.

After hook up and a few menu clicks - it told me exactly what the problem was (at least the code for it). I then used that code and searched for the problem, and found that it is a typical issue with that car - and was a warning about some kind of smog re-breathing thing that, although was annoying, you didn't have to fix it and spend more than the car is worth.

This tool will also let you re-set the computer, so this same warming doesn't keep coming up.

You can get one if you wish - it is also a good way to double check that your mechanic isn't trying to sell you something that you don't need....

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Around here, Autozone will read your codes on any car for free but O'Reilly will charge you unless you drive a Ford (they worked out a deal with the local Ford dealership). Needless to say, I never go to O'Reillys.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Around here, Autozone will read your codes on any car for free but O'Reilly will charge you unless you drive a Ford (they worked out a deal with the local Ford dealership). Needless to say, I never go to O'Reillys.
There's a problem in California - stores won't read your codes due to state government SMOG law pressure NOT to let stores read codes.

Yes, I know that makes no sense at all.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Mike mentioned some reasons.

1) You know the general range of problems before going to a mechanic.

2) You know to look up on "recalls" for similar problems for your car so you don't get "taken" by the dealer.

3) On vacation, if the CEL comes on, you know if the problem is "SMOG test" related or something where you really need to pull over and have the car towed to a shop. A P0300 means pull over and have it towed. But DTCs implicating the evaporative control system or the EGR system means keep driving and deal with it later.

I had a new 2001 Ford F150. A few months after purchase it threw the code for EGR vacuum switch. I searched online and found a "silent recall" note from Ford. Ford had gotten a large batch of bad switches from a supplier. Armed with a printed copy of this Ford bulletin, I stopped at my dealer the next morning.

Me: I pulled a code Pxxxx and I want it fixed under warranty
Dealer: Well we will have to keep it all week
Me: I already found it's a problem with the EGR vacuum switch
Dealer: Well it will still take a couple of days to get the part in
Me: According to this Ford bulletin (hands paper copy to dealer) it says you are to have parts always in stock to service this silent recall
Dealer: Well.....OK we can probably have it done today. What's your work phone?
Me: Here's my card (hands dealer my business card stating ATTORNEY AT LAW)
Dealer: Oh.......well I'm sure we can have it fixed by NOON.

And it was fixed by NOON.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have one of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html

It cost me about $35 when I bought it - as I got it when it went on sale.

Have a Mini van where the "idiot" light kept coming on. After spending a lot of $$ trying to get the thing fixed - I bought one of these tools.

After hook up and a few menu clicks - it told me exactly what the problem was (at least the code for it). I then used that code and searched for the problem, and found that it is a typical issue with that car - and was a warning about some kind of smog re-breathing thing that, although was annoying, you didn't have to fix it and spend more than the car is worth.

This tool will also let you re-set the computer, so this same warming doesn't keep coming up.

You can get one if you wish - it is also a good way to double check that your mechanic isn't trying to sell you something that you don't need....
Not sure why you guys are calling it idiot lights but anyhow this looks like a good idea.

HF always has a 20% off coupon.

My check engine has been on and off for a year now. oil changed and still on so It wasn't that.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mike mentioned some reasons.

1) You know the general range of problems before going to a mechanic.

2) You know to look up on "recalls" for similar problems for your car so you don't get "taken" by the dealer.

3) On vacation, if the CEL comes on, you know if the problem is "SMOG test" related or something where you really need to pull over and have the car towed to a shop. A P0300 means pull over and have it towed. But DTCs implicating the evaporative control system or the EGR system means keep driving and deal with it later.

I had a new 2001 Ford F150. A few months after purchase it threw the code for EGR vacuum switch. I searched online and found a "silent recall" note from Ford. Ford had gotten a large batch of bad switches from a supplier. Armed with a printed copy of this Ford bulletin, I stopped at my dealer the next morning.

Me: I pulled a code Pxxxx and I want it fixed under warranty
Dealer: Well we will have to keep it all week
Me: I already found it's a problem with the EGR vacuum switch
Dealer: Well it will still take a couple of days to get the part in
Me: According to this Ford bulletin (hands paper copy to dealer) it says you are to have parts always in stock to service this silent recall
Dealer: Well.....OK we can probably have it done today. What's your work phone?
Me: Here's my card (hands dealer my business card stating ATTORNEY AT LAW)
Dealer: Oh.......well I'm sure we can have it fixed by NOON.

And it was fixed by NOON.
I've got to get one of those "Attorney at Law" business cards. Sounds like the way to negotiate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks