Car cooling system question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ThomasC, Jun 10, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I have a 1996 Chrysler Concorde. Sometimes, over the past three weeks when I started my car, I heard a creaking noise coming from under the hood to my right. This only happened when I left the car sitting overnight or a longer period of time, and not when I just drove it a few hours ago. Also, it's taken longer for the engine to turn over. It happened again today, and after I started driving a bit I noticed that the temperature gauge was really close to the C mark, but it gradually went closer to the center. I know that it's a big problem if it's too close to the H mark, but is it likely that any problems will rise from the cooling system being too cool? That question sounds stupid even to me, but better safe than sorry.

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

The creeking-squeeking could be a pulley. Look in there and spray some WD-40 on the pulley and if it stops its the pulley. It will come back after the lubrication wears off but at least you will know where its coming from. I had a car that did this like yours after a overnight sit.

3. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Yea ThomasC, you might have a worn belt or a loose belt that's not charging your battery completely.Belts that are too tight can put a strain on the starter too making it hard to start I suppose.If anybody has done any recent repairs to any of the components that operate with a belt drive, there's a possibility of belt and pulley alignment being out. With the engine off,you could start with a visual inspection of the belts,checking the tension on them, seeing if there's any slippage, look for obvious signs likes fraying or cracks on the inside of belt.Some belts just wear down to the point that they no longer can grip the pulley efficiently.(time to replace!)A quick way to check for slippage is to use a spray bottle with a diluted down mixture of soap(like lux liquid) and water. Just spray around the belts and pulleys like Dave said and I bet you'll find the culprit. Being a 1996 you may still have original belts on it. I like to change all my belts out at 50,000 miles just to be safe. If you have a serpentine belt(a single wide belt with grooves on the inner part of belt for all the pulleys,) these are prone to be squeekers too.I want to say they are recommended to be changed out every 30,000 miles or so. Sometimes they squeek for a minute or so after startup and then stop.About the temperature guage,you might check to see how the coolant level and antifreeze mixture looks in the radiator when the engine is cool. I've seen a temp guage malfunction before that showed a low reading when I knew that the coolant temp had to be warmer than was shown.(the needle was showing about 1/4 of the way up from the c). I do hope this helps you out some, and let us know what you come up with.Good luck!

4. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

Running a car with a stuck thermostat can make the gauge read Cold. This is not good as the engine doesn't warm up and the oil is run below its proper temperature. If it is cold enough the cold start may not shut off so you can use extra gas. I've heard that under extreme conditions this extra gas can cause the cylinder walls to get scrubbed by the unburned gasoline.

If you have a stuck thermostat it is not a big repair to get it fixed. I would suggest getting it checked and replaced if necessary.

Tim

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

an easy way to check the thermostat.

drop it in a boiling water - you'll see right away if it's working. but heck...those things are only a few bucks (i think) - if you're unsure you may as well replace it.