What's new

Car buying tips? (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
My father is interested in buying a Toyota Highlander. In previous years he has bought most of his cars from someone he knew. However he is done with Ford and wants Toyota so he has to go to an unfamiliar dealer.

I went with him, and to say the least, it was very uncomfortable. The guy kept pushing his demonstrators on us. I couldn't really figure out why. When he got us some figures on it, there was no savings over a new one, although he claimed the contrary. He didn't want to let us leave without at least taking the care home for the day and testing it. He also continued to try and make us feel badly by saying that we really should go for the sunroof, heated seats etc. which we clearly didn't want.

My question is, are there any tips for buying a car with a little less pain involved?

Any help would be appreciated.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Thanks Philip. I thought I remembered that thread but when I searched for it nothing came up and then the search function went down before I could continue. My favorite line from yesterday was when my father said he had to think about it and the salesman said "what do you have to think about?" Oh just that I'm about to spend around $40 000 and you're trying to take me for a ride with the offer you made!

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
If your dad hasn't purchased yet, and is not in dire need of a vehicle now, it may be worth waiting a little while longer. According to this article at MSNBC, Toyota may soon offer big incentives to match the Big-3 US automakers. It says the average discount of those big-3 is about $3300.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Wow that could be great news. Thanks for the link. It's too bad he didn't buy on Saturday because he would have attributed the incentives to him buying and his bad luck.;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
before you do anything else, go visit www.edmunds.com - it's a fantastic website with invaluable information.

specifically, it tells you the "tmv" (true market value) of all the cars. in other words, how much you should pay for a fair price on the car.

is your dad going to finance with the car dealer? if so, i highly recommend he obtain financing somewhere else first. adding car dealer financing makes things much more complicated. as long as you have 'cash in hand', then all you have to negotiate is the price of the car. :emoji_thumbsup:

i walked into the dealer, told them i know what their invoice is, what i'm willing to pay, and that i'm writing them a check. they freaked, but knew i had them. ;) of course, i ended up buying from a private-party, but oh well.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Here's an idea, though I've not tried it before.

Why not call a local mechanic who works on Toyota's and ask them if they can suggest a dealership or salesman?

IT may also work in the dealers garage.

It is too bad you got a schmuck for a salesman. Nest time you get a ditz don't be afraid to say "I'm sorry, but you're really not my type. I'd prefer to work with someone else".

Shut him down hard and the next one is less likely to dis you.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Edmunds is also a good place to check on current incentives. Try this link which may or may not work. It currently shows a $1000 cash back or 1.9% apr for 60 months available on the Highlander. But it may be worthwhile to wait and see if that MSNBC articles proves correct.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
He also continued to try and make us feel badly by saying that we really should go for the sunroof, heated seats etc. which we clearly didn't want.
Yikes. If you do not want the options, do not get pressured into buying them.

Sounds like the salesman is a pushy ass. Do not be afraid to state that you don't enjoy working with him, and ask for someone else.

OR.. go to another Toyota dealership.

Sorry to hear about this... I'm also currently buying a new Toyota (RAV4), and the salesman I'm dealing with has been a real pleasure.

Nope... ask to deal with someone else. If the current salesguy makes you uncomfortable, don't deal with him. Plain & simple.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Thanks for all of the help. I think one problem is that these city dealers have no stock. Their lots are really small. The ones out of the city are much larger and have stock to work with. This guy had one other new one but basically wanted to get rid of his demonstrator. I love the tactic that you need it today. He eventually said he could order what we want but we would have to wait. I don't have a problem waiting but they seem to think that you have the mind of a two year old and want it now.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks