Car Break-in

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DonRoeber, Dec 5, 2003.

1. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My brother owns a Jeep Wrangler, and it's been broken into twice in the last month. Anyone have any neat ideas as to what to do about it? Police reports have been filed both times, but the cops can't seem to do much about it. Unfortunately, it's also the only parking lot close to his work. He's emptied just about everything of value out of his Jeep now, but still, the thief is damaging the rear window and interior locks.

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Someone once told me that Jeeps and convertibles are so easy to break into, that it's almost better to just leave them unlocked.

A thief is gonna get into your car no matter what with a soft top, so let them come in without being able to damage anything. They are still gonna steal whatever they want, buy you can at avoid the expense of getting the car repaired.

If they wanted to steal it and found the doors locked, it only takes a second to slit the top and get it.

3. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Ditto, what Shawn said. My best friend had a Wrangler in college, and he learned VERY quickly to just leave it unlocked and take all valuables out. He did, however, put a Club on the steering wheel to deter joyriders. He always said, "Just cause I let 'em into the car doen't mean I want 'em to take it!"

4. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Then there is the "scoped rifle from a close rooftop" scenerio but I digress....

As former law enforcement I would concur with the above. We had a gang going around to all the park and ride lots and ripping off cars by the dozens. Got so bad they finally put cameras and undercover cops in the lots to catch them. Make sure he continues to report the breakins even if nothing is taken.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Just get an alarm. A loud alarm makes most petty thiefs walk away. And don't blame the cops. Like said before continue to report it because they can't be everywhere at once, but if they finally catch the guy they might be able to tie him to all the reports.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I wasn't complaining about the police at all, and neither is he. We both realize that having a cop sit around and watch his Jeep would be kinda silly, especially at this point.

Thanks for the respsonses, I'll point him to this thread.

7. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I'd do three things:

1. leave the doors unlocked (of course after removing all valuable belongings)

2. get an alarm

3. use an auto-lock (it's like a club that attaches to the brake pedal)

8. Robert Marc

Robert Marc Stunt Coordinator

hey don, as a former wrangler owner i concur with the above. in the summer with the soft top on, i never locked the doors. anything of value (including detach cd) were locked in the hide a trunk. i had my jeep "rummaged" through more times than i can remember, but nothing more than spare change was taken because that was all there was to take. don't worry about the club, the fact that its probably a manual tranny will keep the majority of kids from stealing it.if it's an auto than i would get the club.