Car Bras: ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Gary->dee, May 19, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Can someone explain to me the appeal or better yet the purpose of a bra on the front of a car? Does it involve wind drag or aerodynamics? An attempt to feminize an automobile? I actually had one myself on my first car and it screwed up the paint which is also why I'm sour on the concept. I was young.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

It's to protect your car from bugs and chips.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    To give your car the illusion of having bigger fuller more youthful...

headlights... [​IMG]

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Didn't Kramer make a "Mansierre" for muscle cars ?

I've actually got one on my T-bird, came with the car. Has 2 little ridges in it that help me to park since the nose dips down and it's difficult to judge where the front of the car is without them. I'm sure the paint underneath has a better shine than the rest of the car, but it's just a beater for getting to work.

If you were to use a bra on a new car, I'd suggest removing it frequently and washing/waxing underneath.

5. James_S

James_S Second Unit

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    They make those invisible ones... 3M has something that you can cut if you have tons of patience or you can buy the brand-name invisible car bras. I know the folks of some MR2 boards use it, it's something called Invicashield or something like that...

Jay

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I didn't kow they were called Bras. I have always thougth of them as Muzzle.

--
    Holadem

9. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

10. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

These things are great for creating that rusty look underneath.[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

They look stupid and f**k up the paint. I have no idea why anyone would put one on. [​IMG] Actually, if your bumper is cracked or something that would cover it up....

12. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

A company on the net makes pre-cut clear ones for a bunch of cars, you can find info here: http://www.xpel.com/paint/default.htm

I've seen this stuff installed, and from a few feet away, you can't tell that it's on. From closer, all notice is this one seam where the clear film ends. Not too shabby. And from how chipped my hood looks, not a bad idea either.

Andrej

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Never Again would I buy one of those Bras. As others have said, if you don't constantly clean it out, dirt gets caught in it and scratches the paint.

I also had issues with the little flap that goes over the edge of the hood. After a while it got slightly stretched out and started flapping on the highway which caused MAJOR scratches! [​IMG]

They're just not worth it. They make more scratches than they prevent.

14. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

The idea of attaching this large piece of fabric to the front of your car seems kind of absurd. Granted now I understand that it can help prevent paint chips and bug splatter etc. But I still think it's easier to just go without and maintain your car as opposed to putting a bra on it and dealing with the possibility of messing up your paint.

I'd been thinking of starting this thread to ask this question and I was really inspired yesterday when out of my window some people were putting a new bra on the front of their Mazda. I was going to shout out the window "NO DON'T DO IT! IT'LL LOOK STUPID!" It's really funny on the freeway seeing these cars with flapping crap at the front of their car.

No offense intended towards anyone, but women wear bras not cars. And even certain women wearing them is questionable. [​IMG]

Oh and don't even get me started on aerodynamic kits on cars. One day I'm going to ask somebody with a slammed kit, "Is that a car or a parade float?" I'll probably get knocked out but it's the satisfaction of using that line. That's for another thread.

15. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Since they make bras, why not make Underwear for the rear of the car? [​IMG]

oh my, there are a lot of funny comments to be made about that...

p.s. I did hear one positive comment about car bras, if your front end already has scratches or dents, a car bra is a cheap way to cover them up and make the car look better.

Check out the ones that match the color of your car:
    http://www.carbras.com/color.htm

17. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Actually, there is a simple plastic piece that runs under most of the engine in my MR2 spyder, you need to either remove it to get to the oil pan and most of anything underneath the engine and it is commonly known as the "diaper" [​IMG] It has an access panel so you can get to the oil pan, but the oil filter is not really accessible unless you're plasticman. It does keep alot of the road grime out of the pipes and stuff but is only protection. Some owners have permanently removed their diapers.

< insert smart reply here [​IMG] >

Jay

18. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

19. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

20. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter