What's new

Car Audio: Transports & Tuners (1 Viewer)

John Beavers

Second Unit
I priced out a car audio system for my new car today, which includes MB Quart speakers and a separate amp. The choice of a head unit is still up for question. They carry Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse and Sony units. I narrowed it down to either a $360 Pioneer deck or a $240 Alpine deck. I've had Pioneer before, and really liked the sound of the mosfet design, however since I'm getting a separate amp to power the MB Quart's it really comes down to which has the best transport and tuner. Anyone know? And should I consider other alternatives?

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever you get, I would highly recommend MP3 playback ability. I got an MP3-CD player in my car last november, and I haven't listened to FM radio once since then.
(If you're hesitant to commit to "MP3" sound quality, try burning your own using EAC to rip and Razorlame to encode with variable bit rate (see www.r3mix.net) . Darn good sound quality, and the flexibility is outrageous.
Just my $.02

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pioneer HU and am dying to get an Alpine or Eclipse. The MOSFET chip is great yea, but for outboard amplification definitely go with Alpine. My Pioneer absolutely loves to skip on the faintest scratch, and the pre-out voltage is pathetic. My brother's Alpine sounded oh so sweet with his MB Quarts. You won't be disappointed.
Why did I buy the Pio you ask? Poor college student and rich friend selling used equipment go well together. :)

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
I just upgraded my system with a Kenwood MP8017 unit. It plays anything you can throw at it...I love it. I also have Polk speakers all the way around, MTX amps, and an MTX Thunderform sub (1-10") all in my Expy. I am installing kick panels with matching polk seperates next.
The 8017 is the best head unit I've ever purchased...hands down.
Just my opinion...
Tim K.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks