Car audio Stuff

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adil M, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

What's good or well known among car-audio?

I was talking to a dealer who rec'd I buy the cheap wires, buy an Eclipse Head Unit w/a 5 ch amp and JL audio all around.

What about stuff at CC like Pioneer, Infinity, Polk and Alpine car audio stuff? Anybody really know their car audio? Are "any" factory systems decent?

2. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I am a car audio guru. I can tell you whats up.

Eclipse doesn't make bad headunits; I'm not as familiar with their lines as I am with Alpine (which is regarded as the best sounding headunits.)

JL Audio is a little overhyped. I don't know how they required it but they have a cult following, however there are better choices out there for the same money.

When you say JL Audio 'all around' I assume you mean fronts, rears, and subwoofer(s). Don't put rear speakers in your car. Why would you want rears for a 2 channel sound source anyway? All it does is pull your soundstage rearward. It's best to invest in one set of better speakers for the front.

If you are going to go without ones the 5 channel amp is unnecessary. It would be best to get a quality 2 channel amp for the fronts, and a larger monoblock for your subwoofers.

I can elaborate and provide futher advice if need be. This is just a quick synopsis.

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I would like to think that I know "whats up" in the car

audio arena.

If you want non mainstream high end components (sperates)

look to companies like A/D/S, Focal, X-Tant for the mids

highs and subs.

If you do not want to spend that much money on seperates

you can look at some lower priced offerings from Infinity

(Kappa or Perfect Series),Polk Audio, MB-Quart, Boston Acoustics

and many others.

Head Units there are MANY fine offerings from many companies

not just Alpine IMHO... Panasonic makes some excellent

multimedia geared head units, Pioneer also makes some very

good units as does Kenwood.

Amps there are too many good ones to list.. Just find what

fits your usage and make sure the specs show the amp is

capeable of what you need it to do. Example if you plan on

driving 2 Dual Voice Coil Subs in Paralell Bridged you must

make sure the amp is at least 1-2 Ohm Stable. Look for a

Total Harmonic Distorsion of .001 or less, Look for MOSFET

Class A if you can afford it...

Rear speakers is debateable. I run rears and I always will

run rears. I just make sure that I have the fade set to

accentuate the front sound stage. If I had a pick up truck

I would say there is absolutely no need for rears.

4. Mark Fitzsimmons

I agree with most of what you said.

About the headunits, I prefer the sound of Alpine over anything else, Kenwood is very good too, Pioneer is middle of the road, and Panasonic doesn't impress me.

I will never run rears, call it personal preferance if you may, but 2 channel sound was intended to be listened in 2 channels, not 4.

It is true there are many great amps to list, but remember all amps are not created equal, and you get what you pay for. Crap in, crap out; it's that simple.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

6. Mark Fitzsimmons

I'm sure I am already telling you something you know, but I would never rely on anthing but a subwoofer to deliver my bass; components nor 6x9's can cut it. The 6x9s should reach lower but still lack the authority and presence a subwoofer will provide.

7. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills Stunt Coordinator

I also like to think I know what I am talking about. As a first place spring break nationals champion in 2001, I think I have a little credibility. Check out my system at www3.sympatico.ca/jeff.mills
    I am a die hard alpine fan for headunits. You cant beat them. I have previously owned eclipse, and while the sound quality was fantastic, the reliability was less than desireable. I owned it for 3 months and it was in for repair 3 times.
    For amplifiers, you cant go wrong with Memphis, Rockford, Kicker, or any of the other well known brands. I recommend quality components for the front speakers from brands such as Image Dynamics, Focal, etc.
    Your best to stick with brands that specialize in car audio and stay away from the pioneers, kenwoods, and sonys of the world who try to make anything and everything electronic.
    Also, dont skimp on your wiring. Cheap wiring is more noticable in car than home simply due to the possible noise interference that can be picked up in a cars environment.
    Also, be sure to have a good solid power supply using at least a 1 farad capacitor (if planning on using a subwoofer), and the heaviest power wire and ground wire possible. 4 gauge minimum.
    Hope this helps, if you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me an email at [email protected]
    PS: If your interested in a very high quality line driver/conditioner, let me know as I have one for sale.
    Jeff

8. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

just to throw in my 2 cents, i agree with the alpine headunit suggestion, i've own 2, and i've installed 5 or 6 for my friends cars, all sound great, and never had a problem with any of them. as for speakers, the best seperates i've personally heard were jl audio xr series 3 ways, and kicker resolutions after that, boston is far overrated for car audio. as for amps, i use rockford, but kickers, zapco, and jl amps are pretty nice to. for subs, if you want sound quality go with jl w6 or w3 series, if you want spl, kicker solos are a good choice. only bad part of solos is their inabilty to play above 85 hz without sounding like crap, unless you run 6x9's or high component speakers i would stay with a sub that can go up to 150 hz

9. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

Also look at CDT for the componet speakers...I have them and they sound great and priced well. For the sub I have a single IDMAX from Imiage Dynamics. JL amp running it all...gret amps with good features. I have the 300/4 and the 500/1.

10. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

If you want the true scoop on car audio, THE place to go is forum.sounddomain.com They got the goods... later.

11. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

12. Mark Fitzsimmons

I never liked sounddomain. Too many young kids on their forums that don't know what the hell they are talking about.

13. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,

14. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Anybody used any of the Dynaudio Mobile Fidelity loudspeakers for car audio speakers?
    Dyn car audio

15. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

16. Mark Fitzsimmons

Wayne,
    I like the audio forum at www.honda-acura.net there are some people there that don't know what they are talking about but most are very knowlegable.
    With regard to JL Audio.
    To beat their subwoofers I really like Image Dynamics. To compete with the W3s and W6s you can pick up an Image Dynamics ICQ. The IDQs are very sound quality oriented and are a great buy for the money. They are very fast and with a properly sized sealed enclosure frequency response is very flat. To compete with JL's W7 I believe the IDMAX blows it out of the water, the IDMAX has nearly the same accuracy (only noticable to a trained ear) and sound quality as the IDQ but really pumps out a mean SPL.
    How components compare is very debatable. Because after all, it comes down to listener preference. They may sound great to one person, and a little subpar to the next, I prefer the sound of MB Quarts and Focals over the JL's. But to judge components you really have to get out and listen for yourself and find what sounds better to you.

17. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

I also am into car audio, and agree with most of the points here except, with regards to buying only brands that only make car audio products. As far as I can think of right now, there are only a few companies that only make car audio equipment (with regards to the electronics, not just speakers) Nakamichi makes fine car electronics but they also produce home stuff also, so does ADS, so does Macintosh...etc. The EQs that Image dynamics sells appear to be simply rebaged pro audio gear.
    The fact of the matter is that just because a company makes electronics for different markets means nothing, you have to look at the specific models with regard to price features build quality etc.. to determine its quality & suitability for your given application. Would I buy any of the current crop of Sony decks? No, but I would have bought from their old ES line before they began with the Xplod crap. Would I buy Kenwood? No, but that's just personal preference. Would I buy Pioneer? Yes, and in fact that's what I did, from their premier line. I liked the features, the sound quality is very good and it doesn't look like a space ship like some of the stuff out there.[​IMG]
    As for my personal experience with eclipse I have a 5341 deck that I have been using up until recently that performed flawlessly for 2yrs and then started to skip really bad I had it repaired once but to no avail. The sound quality was great when it wasn't skipping, but after living with it that way for 1 1/2 yrs I finally replaced it with my Premier unit which is a huge step up in sound quality/feature.
    Anyone want to buy a badly skipping four year old cd player?[​IMG]

18. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I'm also really into car audio. I also run 2 JL 12w3s off a MTX 500d. Considering I got the JLs for $155 a piece online, I don't think they're overhyped or overpriced. Up front I'm running some an ID Chameleon component set with some 6.5" IDQ midbass drivers. So I got a good 3 way setup up front. I've got a Panasonic deck. I love the way they look. (primarily why I bought it) I doubt it sounds any different from other brands at the same price point. Not like I can just go out and slam down some cash for a Nakamichi deck.
    Another good forum with people who REALLY know there stuff. is www.termpro.com
    And for the comment about no rear speakers at all... ever heard of "rear-fill"?

19. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Thanks guys. I'm just getting into this and trying to get a base of what I should audition and what I shouldn't. Need to figure out what the BOSE's were for the Car Audio world. I just preferred to get my feet wet here.