Car audio speakers in home

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrellC, Jan 30, 2003.

1. DarrellC

DarrellC Stunt Coordinator

I am a former car audio competitor and have some equipment laying around...including a 3-way set of Focal seperates. These are high-end speakers in terms of car use, about $2000 worth. Since I have good woodworking skills and have a woodworking shop at my house, can I incorporate these speakers as mini towers for the front? Currently I have some Paradigm bookshelf 2-ways and a center channel.

What do you think?

2. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

As another former CA competitor, who used the MUCH superior Dynaudio and then the even MORE superior Image Dynamic front stage(he-he j/k)...I think the focal's would be a sweet speaker project. Although you don't see many home speakers using that combination of drivers...(1,4.6") i think it would work fine.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The tricky part will be the crossover. I don't know anything about those drivers, but what type of impedance are they. Not many home amps that can handle less than 4 ohm loads.

4. DarrellC

DarrellC Stunt Coordinator

I think they are 8 ohm, but I will have to check. It is a 3-way set with crossover, but I could always only use them as a 2-way set. Just a thought!

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

6. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I do think it will work. I've seen many home audio projects with components from Focal and Soundstream (Vifa). The nom. imped. should be around 6-8 ohms (with x-over) if I remember correctly. The hardest part I would think would be getting the enclosure correct. Do you have the Utopias or PolyKevs? You may want to contact Focal and get the recommended enclosure size for the mid and woof. From there just make sure you make a very solid cabinet with TONS of bracing (every 4-6 inches or so). You need to be careful with the baffle also to not get too much diffraction. With time, patience and research you have the potential of building a set of fronts to rival VERY high end speakers. G'luck!

7. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I suppose I can share my recent experience when I built MDF enclosures for my car audio speakers.

I had some $300 component Alpine car audio speakers that I recently built a box for.

All I did was make a rectangular sealed enclosure and just chose an average looking volume. 1/2" MDF was used and I didn't bother putting a speaker terminal, but cut a 1/4" hole for some 16ga wire and sealed it with caulk. Reason I didn't stress a perfect enclosure volume is because it is sealed, and they are designed for car audio afterall.

It didn't cost me anything to try as I used scrap wood and wire and tossed in some polyfil. I also used the alpine crossover and assembled the box with glue and brads.

I then wired the speakers back into my car's amp and the resulting sound was much better than the in-dash sound. The vocals had a much more distinct (although grainy) texture and the highs were more revealing of hiss. [​IMG]

I havn't used these in home because they are 4 ohm and my Rotel amp is rated to 6. They are decent sounding at near listening distances, yet become horrible at distances at about 10 feet.

This is just a guess, but I think car audio speakers arn't designed for far-listening fields like in HT environments. I don't know if a redesigned crossover would help.. it is investing a lot of time and $ that could be spent into home DIY speakers that are sure to sound great.