What's new

Car audio questions (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I should post this someplace else, like the "Car audio forum," but the people at HTF seem nicer, and smarter;)
I drive an 87 Honda civic. I bought a Panasonic head unit (the 402) and will install it in no more then 2 weeks. The front speakers are Factory 3 1/4 two way's.
I'm thinking of starting out with a sub. I would like to put it on the floor, behind the drivers seat, (or both seats) so it's harder to see, and I won't have my windows smashed and subs stolen!:thumbsdown:
I would then either add 6x9's at the back, and/or new Infinity replacements at the front. I have not decided if they will be bigger then factory.
My questions are:
For $500 CDN or less, how can I get bass That hit's hard, deep, sounds good, and doesn't take up a lot of space. I would like that to include the Amp...
Also, what else would you recommend for new speakers? I Liston to mostly rock and rap. I am thinking of MTX 6x9's for the back, and small Infinity's at the front.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for any advice you may give:D

VinhT

Second Unit
For the amp I'd recommend the Profile 2-channel amplifier sold at Circuit City (PCE BA400). It's only $100 US, and delivers 100W RMS per channel into 4 ohms, or 300W RMS bridged at 4 ohms. Don't bother with an expensive MTX amp, they only advertise peak power. I once accidentally bought a "165W" per channel MTX amp only to discover that the RMS power was a mere 37W.

The same principle applies for their shiny subwoofers. Very high Fs and not much excursion capabilities. I can definitely recommend the Infinity 1020W Reference subwoofer, also sold at Circuit City for only $70 US. You can read my review of this combo on the Circuit City website.

Two of the Infinity subs, a box, and the amp should fall within your budget, and will provide more than enough bass for your Civic.

As for coaxial speakers, I'd strongly recommend against the MTX speakers and get Infinity speakers instead. And of course, you should listen before you make any decision, but make sure to stay away from the salespeople at Circuit City and Best Buy. They know not what they speak of.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I would then either add 6x9's at the back, and/or new Infinity replacements at the front. I have not decided if they will be bigger then factory.
Once you have a sub the rears are only used for "fill" The speakers up front are what counts. Spend your money there.

With your budget, I would look into good used amplification, and good sub. A 12inch JL Audio subwoofer with a used Precision Power (PPI) amp bridged would rock your Civic.

Also, put the sub in the trunk.

Just a short story.
A few years ago I had a friend who wanted to put together a decent system in his car. Like you and everyone else he wanted the mass bass. He went out and bought a 10 inch JL audio sub and a "cool" looking amp with big meters from Best Buy. He installed everything and was very disspointed in the performance. He immediately thought to get a bigger sub. Me and another friend of mine stopped him and said "lets just try a different amp first" we hooked up my buddies PPI amp into the 10in JL and were getting spls in the 120 range. So the lesson learned is that amplification matters big time. Sub quality matters, big time. Sub size, really doesn't matter. (at this stage of the game at least)

good luck

-rob

DavidY

Supporting Actor
CDN$500 for a driver, enclosure and a sub amp AND a a pair of 6x9's?

Driver can be a 12" (4 ohm say): original SVS (SVC), Adire Shiva (DVC), or maybe a Dayton (DVC)....$75-$200. Enclosure is typically around $100...cheaper if you build it yourself. Say $150-$200 for a 2 channel amp, should be bridgeable at 4 ohms....get one used (seen one USAmps USA100 here in Canada...~200WRMS @ 4 ohms for CDN$180 shipped). 6x9 can be had for $50-$100...personally I would skip on the 6x9 for now and upgrade the fronts instead.

Dave

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Skip the 6x9s. Skip coaxials also. Get a good set of components up front, amped of course. I'd recommend at least a 12" sub. My previous system I had 2 JL 12w3s. Sounded kick ass with metal and rock. (had a 1,000 watt amp on them) Rap was also really good with them, though I could bottom them and eventually they'd get fatiguing to the ears. I only had some meager coaxials for my other speakers.

Since then, I've gotten 2 JL 15w3s with a 1,400 watt amp. Some Image Dynamics Chameleon components (love these babies) and also some Igame Dynamics IDQ 6.5 midbasses using a MTX 165x4 amp. Also had to upgrade my electrical system. I've got a Panasonic deck too. I've got an 89 Ford Ranger Extended cab.

VinhT - MTX rates their amps at 12 volts. (with the engine turned off) At 14.4 volts (engine on) you'll get more power out of your amp. Also make sure it wasn't a 4ohm as compared to a 2ohm rating you were looking at. MTX is actaully known to underrate their amps.

ColtonA

Stunt Coordinator
Im a long time member at CAF, and have been in the car audio game for 7 years. To be honest, and no offense to HTF members, but you shouldnt be asking these guys, just as you wouldnt ask guys over at CAF about home audio although there are a few guys who know allot about both on both forums. The guys at CAF have more experience with different products. As guys here would reccomend rear fill, in actuality its bad for your system, CD's are recorded in 2 ch. so it makes no sense to have more then 2 speakers and a sub. by having rear fill your causing cancellation issues and polluting your system. I dont get some of these guys that put in $500 components and $60 coaxials in the back :thumbsdown: My reccomendation would be to register at CAF and get familiar with products and ask lots of questions, we really are nice people. Also, disgard the "MTX amps are bad" comment, last I recall Profile amps are some of the worst in the biz, right above pyramid. MTX amps are pretty solid and put out there rated RMS. With any amp you just have to watch what there birthsheets are tested at, you will get familier with good amps for the $ over at CAF. As for MTX subs, theres lots out there thats better for the money, Again I say go register at CAF and learn Learn Learn. You can P.M. me on this site and i will give you my user name at CAF and you can PM me over there and I will help u out some more.
BTW, I was raised in Grande Prairie, How old are you and whats your last name, i recently moved!!!

DavidY

Supporting Actor
CAF is an acronym for what? Don't you mean Canadian Car Audio Forum. http://www.canadiancaraudio.com
BTW, I am a long time HTF member, but fairly new to CCAF. As for brand preferences, everyone's got them. I personally don't like to own Rockford Fosgate....because everybody's got 'em and I hear that their quality control isn't what it use to be. Kinda neutral on MTX. Can't stand Legacy, Pyramid, Boss stuff.
Dave

Josh.L

Agent
ColtonA took the words right out of my mouth. I've been into car audio for about 10 years now. There are SO many other great brands out there that can't be touched by stuff you can get at CC or BB for the same price. So do your research, and go to either elitecaraudio.com carsound.com or sounddomain.com. I'm just going to throw some very well respected brands at you, the first that come to mind: For speakers/subs, check out Image Dynamics, Diamond Audio, Focal, Dynaudio, JL audio, MB Quart. For amps: Precision Power, MTX, JL, Xtant, ADS, Kicker, Zapco. These are just scratching the surface. Some are out of your budget from a retailer, but that's what Ebay is for. Hope this helps alittle.

josh

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Thanks for all the Help guys! I'm not getting rears for sure now:)
I have been over at CAF lots, just reading. I might post a little later:D
I find car audio hard for some reason. Going from Denon/Klipsch REF at home, and ending up with 6 inch infinities seems weird. To bad a pair of RB5's won't fit in the door:frowning:
-
Colton, Im 16.:)

ColtonA

Stunt Coordinator
Hey matt, thats ok, im young too :) whats your last name, im betting you i will know it, do you go to kateri mission?
Anyways there are lots of components you can get online for reasonable price, check out the following........
Focal 165V
JL XR650-csi
Cadence Neo's
DEI Neo's
A/D/S
lots more..........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks