Car audio question....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle G, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Kyle G

Kyle G Auditioning

Yeah, I know, car audio, home theater forum...

but anyways, i'll be getting my first car soon (i'm 16) and i'm planning to put either a single or pair of shiva's in the trunk. my friend has one in his Golf GTI (hatchback) and it sounds awesome, just the amount of output i want. my question is this, i'll be getting a honda prelude and the subs will be enclosed in the trunk rather than in a hatchback. I was wondering just how much thats going to kill off the bass? will it be significant compared to the hatchback or will the bass pass right through my back seats easily? (assuming that my trunk is going to have a beefed up seal and its not going to have any leaks) i just don't know if i'm going to need two to match the output of the one in his his car...

Thanks a bunch!

2. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Far to many factors in the equation. First a hatchback is one of the best as far as type of auto for bass to slam into you. The size of the cabin area is small and less reflective area to lessen the bass. In your car unless the back seats fold you may not be as loud as your friend with his exact setup. If his are sealed then you could just go ported, that would beat him. It's all in the install is what it boils down to. I would suggest 2 tempests with a JBL1200 ported to a higher freq in a 4.3-4.5^3 box. If you want more SQ then SPL go for a lower tune 25hz or something. Or if space is a prob 1 Bramhma sealed in a 1 cube box with a JBL1200 powering it. I love Adire Audio drivers.

4 Tempests

2 JBL1200

1 HOALT

3 Layers sound deadening

All ported to a 4.5^3 at 25hz

Let me tell you your eyes jiggle, your heart stops, you can't breathe, and the thought of vomiting is very real.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Joel,

4. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I mean deepen the bass because the cabin area is smaller and less reflective. I have mine in an Grand Cherokee. Cabin area is a bit bigger but it all sounds loud to me [​IMG]

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

That's a sweet car you're getting. I also like the Honda 2000, Acura RSX, Nissan Z, and Mazda RX8.
    The bass will travel through the seats very easily, I've been in civics, and t-birds with subs in the trunk. I think you will be quite suprised with the back massaging bass that's possible.
    I am not even concerned with what brand sub you get since even the cheapest of 100 watt subs I've worked with have satisified me. I think that having a sub in the trunk can be an advantage in that you don't have to worry as much about buying a high quality sub and amp.
    If I wanted to add bass to a prelude and save a lot of money, I'd try to find a $30 box, $80 on a 180 watt JBL sub, and $60 on a 10" JBL sub at crutchfield. With the money I saved, i'd maybe get an AEM intake or greddy exhaust but that's just me. (remember there has to be a reason you're choosing a prelude over a civic) [​IMG]

6. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

The first sub I bought was a jbl 10inch and let me tell you they are not good at all. I love JBL don't get me wrong. Originally I wanted just to have bass in my SUV because my Perfect 6.1 comps weren't cutting it. After I bought a JBL 10 inch I wanted a hell of a lot more then what that thing outputed. And never buy a box from anywhere unless it is designed for that sub. Too many people throw them into anything just so they have a resting place. Some salesmen tend to lead you to believe that bandpass boxes rock. If you like a one tone bass because it is not designed(the hardest to design)for your sub then by all means. Always figure out the best possible situation before buying or building your own. Download Winisd enter the sub specs and wala there you go. The reason I went with Adire is because there so cheap. You try to find a 15inch woofer for around 130 or so. If money is really an object then go with 1 tempest/JBL600 combo port that baby high and you'll slam...I heard one go to 150db or so. I personaly would do the 2 Temp/JBL1200 that class D amp is one of the best and would probably be the best electrical setup before needing a new Alternator.

7. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I just traded in a 1999 Cougar which is considered a hatchback. I had a 10in JL Audio POwerwedge powered by an a/d/s P640 amp (also powering the mains). This combo rocked and I found it filled the car with plenty of bass and filled the car's frequency range perfectly. I paid around 170.00 for it. I think it's a 4 Ohm speaker so a decent amp will slam it!!

Mike