Car Audio In-dash Reciever Question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bill Griffith, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

As this is one of the few boards I belong and it has the most to do with this subject maybe some of you can help me.

I am looking for a product that might not exist, as I have been looking for awhile without any luck.

Start with a standard AM/FM Indash Reciever. I don't care wheather the receiver has CD/MP3 or tape capabilities. What I do want is a USB port.

The idea being that if you own an Ipod, or Iriver or some other personal held HD music player that you can just plug this item into the In dash reciver (through USB or whatever)and play your music through your car speakers.

I know they have items that you can put int your tape deck and they play though the car audio system but thats not what I'm looking for.

Anybody ever see anything like this or know of anything coming up like this?

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I don't think a USB port would work because that is to transfer data to and from the device, not to play music through it. I've seen some headunits that have a 2.5mm jack on the front. You can plug a cable from the mp3 player's headphone jack into the headunit and listen to tunes that way.

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Yes, many of the new head units have an aux in port (most have it on the back of the HU, so you have to run a mini-jack wire from the back of the HU. Some (very few) have the Aux In port built into the face of the unit.

A friend of mine bought one by Aiwa that has the jack on the front.

My new head unit, and Eclipse 8443, has Aux In on the back. I could connect an IPOD to the 8443 with a simple adapter.

What you are looking for DOES exist, just not in the way you envisioned.

Good luck,

John

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I connect my iPod to my Headunit via an RCA adapter (plugs into the back of the unit and runs into the glove compartment). I also ran an additional power port into my glove compartment (to attach the iPod car power cable).

6. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Awsome.

Yall, are definatly talking about what I'm looking for. Glad it exists.

Thanks a bunch for the help in the right direction.

7. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Bill,

Such an animal exists... I had it installed in my Ford Expedition so I could connect my laptop to my sound system and play movies for the kids during a long road trip. Worked great!

[​IMG]

From this page at Crutchfield:

Need to add an auxiliary input to your Sony changer-controlling receiver? The XA-300 module lets you add auxiliary sources while retaining the use of your Sony CD changer. The XA-300 accepts your UniLink changer cable and a patch cable from your non-UniLink source (cassette, MP3, Minidisc, etc.) and allows your Sony receiver to choose between the two sources.

The XA-300 can choose between two sets of auxiliary RCA inputs. AUX IN 1 is linked to a headphone jack on the unit, allowing private listening to one auxiliary source while the Sony receiver plays a second source. The private listening level can be adjusted by a headphone volume control. An audio signal from a laptop computer (or any device with USB audio output) can also be connected through the unit's USB port. The XA-300 lets you add a variety of audio devices to your UniLink system, including audio from a DVD player, a video game, or even a satellite radio tuner (antenna and service subscription required) for 100 channels of digital programming nationwide.

Key Features
    • two sets of stereo RCA inputs (accepts audio from Sony changer)
    • AUX IN 1 linked to headphone jack (with independent level control) for private listening
    USB port accepts audio input from a laptop computer (or any device with USB audio output)
    • 83" UniLink cable (included) and 83" RCA patch cable (included) for connection to your receiver
    • control input accepts UniLink cable from changer
    • control outputs — connects XA-300 to receiver through supplied UniLink cable
    • audio out (provides audio to Sony receiver with supplied RCA cable)
    • 5-15/16"W x 1-3/8"H x 7-1/8"D (with RCA plugs)
    • 1-year warranty