car amp question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Camm, Feb 14, 2002.

1. James Camm

James Camm Extra

I just got a second hand amplifier for my car. on the back to hook it up it has

power 12v RMT Ground r+ r- L+ L-

and on the front it has high level output and low level output.

I have the power 12v hooked directly to the battery and ground hooked to the car body. Am I supposed to hook RMT to power and how do I hook the speakers up for low level output? Do I just use the low output RCA cables through the radio?

Thanks

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

The RMT is the remote wire..that needs to come from your head unit/stereo...

you have two types input.. rca and speaker level... connect the rca's from your stereo into the amp..and the speakers to the amp.

3. James Camm

James Camm Extra

ok so do I hook the speakers up through the radio wires or through the speakers. And the rmt hook up can I use the power antena wire from the radio to the amplifier.

Thanks

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The power antena wire is fine. This RMT input is just used to turn on the AMP so it doesn't remain "ON" all the time. One the radio goes on, it sends a signal to the AMP/Antenna to go on or up.

If your Head unit has RCA outputs, use those to go in to your AMPs RCA inputs. Use the Speaker terminal outputs from the amp to go to your speakers.

You're all set!

5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I would recomend not using your power antenna connection..cause...it sends no signal when you use tap or cd..so if you do this..your amp will not turn on when using tape or cd. Use what you are supposed to... your head unit should have a remote wire connection..use this for your rmt connection.

the speakers ...hook to the amp... use rca's from the head unit to the amp.

if your head unit does not have a rmt connetion or rca's..then you need ot get an in-line converter for your connection

good luck.