Car 6x9's --> Home center channel . . .

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Daemione, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Daemione

Daemione Auditioning

Okay, so I've got a couple Polk dx9's (3-way coax's) sitting around that I took out of my car a couple years back, and have no intention of ever using them in the car again. However, while they were in, I was really impressed with their clarity and efficiency, especially with vocals and spoken voice.

So I'm thinking I could build a pretty nice center channel out of them for my home setup for real cheap (read: free). Recommended RMS (at 4ohms) to run them is 5-55 watts, which once they're wired up in series to create an 8 ohm load will match well with the power my receiver puts out. I'll obviously need to fine-tune the gain so it doesn't overpower my sides or satellites, but that's no biggie.

My question is - what sort of enclosure would work best for them? Am I gonna need lots of airspace? Or would just propping them up in a baffle work? They sounded great just plopped in the rear deck of the car w/ some XTC foam baffles, but I'm not sure what direction to go for a center channel application. Having a tough time finding t/s parameters for them as well, which isn't helping.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance . . . .

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Using car speakers for HT is never a great idea. Car speakers are generally designed to take advantage of cabin gain from the small interior of a car, not for a large room. A baffle will not work, since you are then not separating the front and back waves as you are with the rear deck of the car (your trunk becomes the enclosure).

I would go with a sealed enclosure, and it is going to end up being rather large if you are going to put both in there. What amp will you be driving them with? You will also need to wire them series to bring down the impedance, otherwise you are going to have a 2 Ohm load.

3. John S

John S Producer

Your asking the almost impossble of a knowledgable speaker enclosure designer.

6x9's are really difficult to get predictable results with on design, I have tried it quite a few times in my youth, with zero good results.

So in short, your on your own, experimentation, and lots of it, would be in order for sure.

I'd sell them, and try to buy a decent center channel speaker, or even a decent bookshelf speaker for your center duties.

4. Daemione

Daemione Auditioning

Yeah, it's really bugging me that I can't find any enclosure recommendations from the manufacturer. That'd at least give me a starting point.

I've got 75 watts (maybe 85, I forget exactly) @ 8 ohms from my Onkyo receiver, which should be plenty to drive them both. They got foolishly loud at just 15 watts each in the car, so I figure even doubling the resistance & taking them out of a car environment they should put out more sound than I could ever use.

So yeah, I'll probably go ahead & fool around with it some this weekend, whip up something around half a cubic foot for the two of them (they certainly had a LOT less than that when they were stuck in the XTC foam baffles). Maybe before I build the whole enclosure, I'll see what they do set in a panel w/ just the foam baffles. Should be interesting.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, you do have a few things working in your favor on this. Since this will be a high-passed center channel, you don’t have to worry about getting the extension they were capable of in a car trunk. If you were happy with the way they sounded with the XT baffles in place, you’ll probably like them in a smallish box.

Don’t “under” do it too much, though – even with the baffles in place you had cabin gain from the car’s tiny interior working for you. Get the box too small and voices will sound thin. All you really need is enough extension for male voices to sound warm and natural. Anymore and they can start to sound muddled.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

You might try the Polk forum and a direct email to them for information regarding encloser size and better/best yet TS-Params for the speaker. Even just rated freq responce and if thats in car or just what.

Some will laugh at your attempt and others will say, if you got the time and like to play around, go for it. I played with 4-Pioneer Premier 6-1/2's in a set of towers for a friend and was actual surprised at the results.

For sure:
    Build it to big (your center) as you can cut it down or add bricks or something to take up space if necessary later after listening/testing... With no infomation aside from what you have definitely go sealed like John said. Also, a couple 6x9's are probaby the worst to try something like this with. But hey it's free, and won't hurt nothing if you have time play around and see what happens..

The Premiers:
    It cost him nothing and I had fun playing around with it. Gave him something to listen to till he could afford a real set of home towers, AR, then he sold them (the Premiers) to a friend.

Worse case, you sell them cause you could not get satisfactory results while toying with the project.

Won't hurt to try
    Geoff