What's new

Car ?- - - 2002/01 Mustang GT vs Z28 (1 Viewer)

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone here have one if so what are you expiernces.
Think of getting rid of my 94 V6 Camaro. Test drove a Z28, and was impressed with the power but it seemed to be lacking something. I am going to drive a Mustang GT Monday, just wanted to get some opinions on it. I have always been a Chevy guy so I want to know if it is worth it to make the jump to a Ford.
Thanks
[Edited last by Jim__B on October 13, 2001 at 11:03 PM]

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Both are equally well built
The Mustang is both slower and more expensive.
Easy choice!!
I'm a Honda fan :)
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
Hey--I'm thinking about trading in my 94 V6 Camaro, too! It has 112,000+ miles on it, though, so I only expect to get a few pennies.
laugh.gif
I want to get the new '02 Camaro, as they're saying it will be the last year they're produced, but I just can't swing the $ yet (nor have I test driven one). I haven't looked at Mustangs since Jan. 95 when I was comparing them to the Camaros, but I do remember that they were more expensive and just didn't have that certain "something." I'm not sure exactly what the "something" is, but the Camaro won out for me years ago.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The newer Mustangs have those ugly straight creases all over the body instead of the attractive curves of the earlier models ('94-99). For that reason alone I tend to lean toward the Camaro. Also I've had some horrible experiences with FORD in the past and would be hesitant to buy one of their products again (with one exception, see P.S. below).
But if you like Ford and don't mind the creases, by all means check out the Mustangs. If you don't like the creases, get a used one. If you don't like Ford, well, then, get the Camaro. :)
KJP
P.S. I'd get a Cobra if I had the money. But I don't.
[Edited last by Kevin P on October 15, 2001 at 07:21 AM]

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the research I have been doing the Mustang is actually cheaper(going to the 2 delearships). I am going shortly to drive a GT. Then I will make a choice. The thing that scares me is is when they stop making the Camaro the aftermarket stuff for them may slowdown.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have a 2001 Mustang GT, and love it.
I much prefer "those ugly straight creases" of the new body style. The curved edges of the previous body looked weak to me. The new models look cleaner.
It is certainly fast, sounds great.
I find the Camaro's to be very ugly, i didnt test drive one to compare with the Mustang.........cant help you there.
The stock shifter Ford uses is a bit mushy feeling, my only real complaint. I may put in a Steeda Tri-ax next spring.
Check out http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/99stampede.htm for great photos of Mustangs.
Jeff Peake

Erich_H

Auditioning
I too have a '01 GT (bought two weeks ago), so my opinion may be biased. The Stang's are cheaper, and have less cheap plastic crap on the interior. They aren't as fast as the Camaros, but I like the looks better!! I paid $22k for my Premium Package GT. Hope that helps!

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I drove a 5 speed and found it quite nice. The only problem is I think after having a stick for 8 years I need an Auto. The only draw back is performance, which I don't know how of a difference that would make. This car also felt a little more solid than the Z28. Although the Z I drove definitely had problems at 50 it shook so much it felt like it was going to rattle apart. The GT's standard features are all options on the Z.
Anyone know a good price for a 2002 GT my dealership was at 24530 for manual and for Auto it was 815 more.

Leroy

Second Unit
It's tru, the Camaro/Firebird won't be around after 2002 model year. Instead you'll be getting that strange looking Brat/El Camino looking thing.
I've always preferes Mustangs over Camaro's(except in the mid seventies w/Mustang II). Although in the latter years the Mustang has been underpowered compared to the F-body cars. I've always liked the Mustangs looks better. The Camaro/Firebird just seemed to plain IMO (exluding the recent Ram-Air versions).
[Edited last by Leroy on October 16, 2001 at 08:48 AM]

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
The Camaro Z28 is a little cheaper and will eat the Mustang Cobra for lunch. We won't even talk about the GT. The Camaro has the better engine and transmission while the Mustang has a slightly better interior as far as fit and finish goes, but neither is going to win a prize. The Mustang is three years overdue for a complete redesign, while, sadly, this will be the last year of the Camaro. (Why do I have a bad feeling that the Monte Carlo will be the new "Camaro" like the Lumina "Impala?") Personally, I see the 2002 Camaro SS as a big collector's item and a helluva fast car for under $30,000.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

brian a

Second Unit
A guy here at work is selling his cobra. If you're interested, I'll post the stats.
brianca..

JeffDemum

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone bashes the mustang all the time , why ? I have a mustang and love the car it's my 3rd one . Yes the HP in a Z-28 is better but how come mustangs out sell Camaros 2 - 1 and why are they not gonna make them anymore .
And my little 260 hp mustang has beaten alot of Z's and SS's , but i've lost a bunch too . I'd say go for the mustang not just because i'm an owner of one better all around car except for the HP number , but what can you expect from a 281ci motor . And just a note i am getting ready to buy a GM product soon as i find one a 87 Buick Grand National .
[Edited last by JeffDemum on October 17, 2001 at 01:25 AM]

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
how come mustangs out sell Camaros 2 - 1 and why are they not gonna make them anymore
Well, you're right about sales figures being a major factor GM has cited for stopping production. I believe the actual ratio is more like 4 to 1, though. Speculation on decreasing sales has amounted to these conclusions:
1. As David pointed out, Mustangs are pretty much considered chick cars these days. That's almost all I ever see driving one. Of course, I'm a "chick," so I don't think it's all that bad. But I still like my Camaro better--and I've beaten lots of men racing in Mustangs when the lights turn green. And lost to some, too. :)
2. Young men (18-35; and traditionaly the primary target market for these types of vehicles) are purchasing SUVs instead of sports cars (of any make/model).
So, there you have it. "Chicks" are buying Mustangs and men are buying SUVs. Neither of which says anything about which vehicle (Camaro/Mustang) is better than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks