What's new

Capturing video with multi-channel audio (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Hello all,

I was wondering how to go about capturing video with multi-channel audio from an analog source. I am interested in transferring a few concert videos that I have on VHS and Laserdisc to digital video and then burning them to DVD-R. I'd like to just keep the 2 channel soundtrack but I thought it would be cool to create a 4.0 or 4.1 channel soundtrack, to have as an option, using my old Yamaha DSP-1 to create rear channels.

I currently have a Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS soundcard that appears to have a 2 channel input so I'm kind of at a loss. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Eh, this doesn't work out so hot. You can do it with programs like BeSweet, etc. create your own AC3 file, and then line it up as the audio track with an MPG you capture.. but you're odds of getting out of sync are high (see: http://www.videohelp.com/ )

You can, however, capture it as one file, and Nero's Recode3 will upconvert with the right filters a 2 channel to a DD5.1 mix. It's not-bad but not great, it basically matrixes the rears and then seperates out lower signal to the .1. So, take it as you will.

If you're talking about going from AC3RF ala Laserdisc to DVD.. that's a whole different story, and this forum isn't going to discuss that, to my knowledge.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Actually, what I am thinking I'd like to try is taking the two-channel analog audio output from the VHS recorder and/or Laserdisc player and feed it into the DSP-1. From there, I'd like to use the standard left and right channels for the front along with rear channels created by the DSP-1 to create a 4.0 or 4.1 soundtrack. I am guessing this is possible but I'm not sure how to capture 4 channels of analog audio simultaneously.

This is the device I'd like to use to create the rear channels (I love the some of effects it produces on live music recordings):
Yamaha DSP-1

Is this going to be more of a pain that it's worth?

I'll check out the VideoHelp.com forum as well. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks