What's new

Capturing the Friedmans, "Canadian" Version (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Since this is a U.S. film, the Alliance Atlantis version *should* be the same as the U.S. version, based on history anyway. I have this here, but I like to make as sure as possible before opening. The AA version lists the runtime of the whole package only (3h55) and says DD 2.0, which is specified differently on the sparse and possibly incorrect info I have on the U.S. release. Anybody have better info and know if they seem to match up? If not, this would throw a big monkey wrench into my system of determiming which Canadian releases are safe to buy re content.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Yes, there is french on the cover of Friedmans... it looks the same as the US one, though I was under the impression that the cut of the movie was going to be 3 hours, and not the theatrical release, which I am assuming it is.

Pretty extensive extras.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
And I was assuming the 3h55 time was the *whole* package time, since it was so much longer than the theatrical movie time...but I don't know, that is an untypical way to specify things, still haven't opened it, and don't know if they could fit 3h55 on the first/feature disc..

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
So are the Canadian & US versions definitely the same re: a/v specs & extras?

I can't find any online reviews of this dvd at all.

this back cover scan of the US dvd at dvd empire seems to show that both versions are the same.

note: the AA Canadian version says English 2.0 Dolby Surround and the US cover says English Dolby SR. This would be the same thing right?

Looks like the listed runtime is the same as well (although hard to make out on the US cover!)

thanks if anyone can confirm outright!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yeah, SR and 2.0 are the same. It strikes me as odd that HBO would use SR to describe the track, since it is strictly a theatrical format; in fact, Dolby Digital for theatres is referred to as SR-D.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
One other thing is the U.S. version is unrated, whereas the Canadian version I have is rated twice (Canadian and Quebec standards). Don't know if that means anything re the content, since they both have the same overall runtime, maybe they just didn't bother rating it for the U.S.

Joey^T

Grip
If you go to dvdtown.com there is a review of it there. The film is only about 100+ minutes long plus 2 hours worth of bonus material. Looks like a long and extensive list of extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks