What's new

Capturing SACD audio (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Yes, but this begs another question. Why not burn a higher res CD for playback?

Rob, do you have a preference for this? Does your car have CD playback? You would get better sonics.

Or perhaps you have the new BMW-iPod playback adapter. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Yes, but this begs another question. Why not burn a higher res CD for playback?

Rob, do you have a preference for this? Does your car have CD playback? You would get better sonics.

Or perhaps you have the new BMW-iPod playback adapter. :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Sure, but Katz can't clone himself and test every drive that comes out. Generalizations no longer apply.

Here's a drive where 8x has more pit jitter than 12x, and 12x has more than 16x:

And 24x on the same drive has the least land jitter:

Listen to the old adage of 'burn as slow as possible', and you may make worse discs.

This drive is actually better than many out there...many drives can't even keep jitter below the redbook standard of 35ns, especially at a variety of speeds.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Sure, but Katz can't clone himself and test every drive that comes out. Generalizations no longer apply.

Here's a drive where 8x has more pit jitter than 12x, and 12x has more than 16x:

And 24x on the same drive has the least land jitter:

Listen to the old adage of 'burn as slow as possible', and you may make worse discs.

This drive is actually better than many out there...many drives can't even keep jitter below the redbook standard of 35ns, especially at a variety of speeds.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

For months you go on and on about how great iPod is (128K AAC iTunes), and now you question as to why anybody would listen to MP3 in the car, the least critical listening environment that most people own?

Even the quietest Lexus has 60db of background noise.

If there is any environment that fits lossy music listening well, it is the car.

Why the about-face after touting the iPod for so long?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

For months you go on and on about how great iPod is (128K AAC iTunes), and now you question as to why anybody would listen to MP3 in the car, the least critical listening environment that most people own?

Even the quietest Lexus has 60db of background noise.

If there is any environment that fits lossy music listening well, it is the car.

Why the about-face after touting the iPod for so long?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably go with the high-res tracks. I know Rachael B. has been very happy with SACD high-res tracks recorded to Minidisc (oh no, another lossy format) via analog input.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably go with the high-res tracks. I know Rachael B. has been very happy with SACD high-res tracks recorded to Minidisc (oh no, another lossy format) via analog input.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think this thread is becoming far too contentious instead of helpful to Mr. Gillespie.

Your comments regarding "worse" listening environment are from your own comments, not mine. I was trying to develop a solution for Rob based on where he wanted to listen. I am not advocating any particular environment as being better or more convenient.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think this thread is becoming far too contentious instead of helpful to Mr. Gillespie.

Your comments regarding "worse" listening environment are from your own comments, not mine. I was trying to develop a solution for Rob based on where he wanted to listen. I am not advocating any particular environment as being better or more convenient.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

If you are going to make comments that MP3 is inferior to CD in a car, you should certainly be able to back that up with the facts of how you compared and how the MP3 was encoded, as all of that is entirely relevant.

You have actually done a comparison, using a carefully encoded MP3, right? You'd have to in order to make such blanket statements...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

If you are going to make comments that MP3 is inferior to CD in a car, you should certainly be able to back that up with the facts of how you compared and how the MP3 was encoded, as all of that is entirely relevant.

You have actually done a comparison, using a carefully encoded MP3, right? You'd have to in order to make such blanket statements...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks