Capturing SACD audio

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rob Gillespie, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I have a few SACDs which I'd like to make MP3 copies of so I can play them in the car. Obviously I can't rip them the same as a regular CD so I'm attempting to capture the analogue audio output directly from the player, then extract the WAV element later.

My question is - is it better to do this with the 2-channel mix or from the CD layer if it's available? Obviously the capture will not be 48-bit, hence my query.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I have a few SACDs which I'd like to make MP3 copies of so I can play them in the car. Obviously I can't rip them the same as a regular CD so I'm attempting to capture the analogue audio output directly from the player, then extract the WAV element later.

My question is - is it better to do this with the 2-channel mix or from the CD layer if it's available? Obviously the capture will not be 48-bit, hence my query.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I have not tried this yet, but my guess is that you want the 2 channel hirez mix to go into your recording device. I would use good cables and record at a slow rate. Bob Katz has found high speed recordings can introduce problems.

In short, the analogue out from the hirez layer will have better resolution. It then depends on the recording device how good this sounds. There is an audiophile here in Wyoming that is making CDs from some of his favorite SACDs to capture the extra realism of the SACD 2 channel layer.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I have not tried this yet, but my guess is that you want the 2 channel hirez mix to go into your recording device. I would use good cables and record at a slow rate. Bob Katz has found high speed recordings can introduce problems.

In short, the analogue out from the hirez layer will have better resolution. It then depends on the recording device how good this sounds. There is an audiophile here in Wyoming that is making CDs from some of his favorite SACDs to capture the extra realism of the SACD 2 channel layer.

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'm doing the capturing with a Canopus video card that I used for my LD to DVD transfers. The quality seems really nice and anyway, it's the only way I can do it.

'Rate' is normal playback speed. I don't have any other options on that.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'm doing the capturing with a Canopus video card that I used for my LD to DVD transfers. The quality seems really nice and anyway, it's the only way I can do it.

'Rate' is normal playback speed. I don't have any other options on that.

7. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Using a Creative Labs Audigy card, I was able to copy music directly to the computer hard drive just as Lee described.

8. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Using a Creative Labs Audigy card, I was able to copy music directly to the computer hard drive just as Lee described.

9. Michael St. Clair

How on earth would he record from an SACD source at anything but a real-time rate? I'd love to know.

10. Michael St. Clair

How on earth would he record from an SACD source at anything but a real-time rate? I'd love to know.

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

[​IMG]
    Good catch.

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

[​IMG]
    Good catch.

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I'm talking about write speeds Mike.

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I'm talking about write speeds Mike.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

It's easiest to just get a CD-burner that isn't a DVD-player to rip the redbook layer.

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

It's easiest to just get a CD-burner that isn't a DVD-player to rip the redbook layer.

17. Michael St. Clair

Yeah, I always keep a real CD drive around, though they usually rip hybrids slow as hell (sometimes less than 1x). Hybrids are almost always unreadable on PC DVD drives...funny how the 'Compact Disc' logo that appears on those drives used to mean compatibility among everything that bears that stamp.

18. Michael St. Clair

Yeah, I always keep a real CD drive around, though they usually rip hybrids slow as hell (sometimes less than 1x). Hybrids are almost always unreadable on PC DVD drives...funny how the 'Compact Disc' logo that appears on those drives used to mean compatibility among everything that bears that stamp.

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My computer fortunately came with a CD burner (non-DVD) and I just also just put in a seperate DVD drive (which I don't really use, anyway, but it's good to have).

If the day ever comes where I can't rip my SACDs, I will have to re-think my musical purchasing priorities. It's one of the main reasons I'm still heavily into SACD and have all but given up on DVD-A. I need that portability, and to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, "I will never double-buy again!" (cue corny dramatic orchestral music, in high-res of course).

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My computer fortunately came with a CD burner (non-DVD) and I just also just put in a seperate DVD drive (which I don't really use, anyway, but it's good to have).

If the day ever comes where I can't rip my SACDs, I will have to re-think my musical purchasing priorities. It's one of the main reasons I'm still heavily into SACD and have all but given up on DVD-A. I need that portability, and to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, "I will never double-buy again!" (cue corny dramatic orchestral music, in high-res of course).