Capturing a desktop image?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Keith Paynter, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I am developing a help page for my web site, but I need to grab some desktop images (of open applications, pulldown menus, etc.) to make a visual guide. Any help would be appreciated...

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    make sure you have a paint program that'll save into jpg or gif...

okay, so you have the screen the way you like it. press the PRINT SCREEN button. This will take a screenshot of whatevers on the screen and copy it to your clipboard.

open up your paint program, and press PASTE (or paste as new image, os oemtning liek that), then itll paste your screenshot. then you save it as whatever file, and uplod it

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

To expand on that, if you use ALT+Print Screen, you will get a screen capture only of the highlighted (active) window, not of the entire screen. If you're doing something that's application-specific and you don't want to have to crop out the system tray and so forth each time, this can be an immense time saver.

Nick, that sig is funny as hell! [​IMG]

4. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Use PNG as the format to save your screenshots, if possible (I use IrfanView for tasks like this). JPG is not a good choice for screenshots due to the tendency to create artefacts.

-Christian

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

PNG is much easier because you don't have to worry about choosing the quality level. As for file size, I tried it just now and had to crank the JPEG down below 35% to get the file sizes to match, and of course the result was horrible. In that one arbitrary test, it's a no-brainer. Of course, YMMV. (This particular screen didn't have any photographic images, so PNG is likely to do better.)

GIF is similar to PNG in that it is lossless (JPEG is lossy), but GIF only does 256 colors. I would also recommend PNG.

//Ken

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I recommend a GREAT little utility called Irfan View

www.irfan.com

Great free tool that does resizes, gamma corrections, etc plus has a screen shot tool that works with everything that I've thrown at it, particularly games with no such feature.

Sam