What's new

capture using radeon (1 Viewer)

SunilS

Agent
Hi I just installed an AIW radeon in my computer (mid end)

P11450 with 384Mg.

What would be the recommended method to get video capture

for creation of VCD/SVCD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note. I don't have a massive hard drive. So captureing

an hour to uncompressed AVI is not an option.

Sunil

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Sunil,

If you are using a recent version of ATI MMC (Multimedia center) there actually is a capture preset for VCD. If you haven't already, I suggest you get the most recent MMC from the ATI site.

If your system can handle it, you might consider capturing in mpeg-2 and converting to a vcd/svcd spec file using TMPGEnc.

Hope This Helps!

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
Capturing straight to mpeg2 is probably not the best idea. The best way is to capture using Virtual Dub (freeware) and a codec such as the Huffyuv codec or a similar close to loss less format. Then convert the avi to vcd compliant mpeg or svcd compliant mpeg2. Be warned, this does take a decent amount of space to do, as it is about 4 gigs/per 25 min of video. I realize you said you do not have alot of space, but if you are looking for quality this is the way to go, plus hdd prices have plumpetted to 100 bux and less for a 40 gig hdd. Btw, if you source is somthing such as a vhs tape or cable then there is really no reason to convert to mpeg2, but if you are capping off satellite, then by all means the use mpeg2 to keep the quality.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I suggested MPEG-2 because Hard Disc space was a premium. If you have the processing power it can take up considerably less space than AVI.

VirtualDub will only allow AVI format capturing if I remember correctly.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was messing around with my AIW Radeon 32MB (bought it over a year ago) and doing the video capture from a VCR source. Just as a lark, after cleaning out plenty of disk space, I tried to record about 12 minutes of video in the AVI format, and for some reason, the ATI MMC video capture program would stop recording after 4GB of disk space was consumed by the temp AVI file. That bummed me out. Does anyone know of anyway to extend the AVI file size "limit" to something larger than 4GB?

Is this because I'm using FAT32?

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Patrick, the 4GB limit is an inherent downside to the FAT32 file system. You cannot have a single AVI file larger than that, but I believe there is software out there that lets you record over multiple files and link them together.
VirtualDub is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

As Masood stated that is a limitation of the fat32 system. Use NTFS, last time I read up on it, NTFS4 supported 3 exabytes!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. Since I'm running W2K, I may just convert one of those FAT32 partitions to NTFS and have at it again. :)

SunilS

Agent
Still having trouble.

Did a 4-5 minute capture to mpeg2 file.

The file is .mp2. What do I do now to

create the VCD.

The software i have does not recognise this file type.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sunil

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
You can rename the extention to .mpg (It's still an MPEG-2 file)

What software are you using to create the VCD?

You should convert it to either VCD or SVCD format using TMPGEnc.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The MP2 (MPEG-2) file is used for DVD video file creation.

To encode with VCD in mind, you need to select MPEG-1 conversion format when you encode the video from a source, like a VCR/camera/etc. This should create a file with the MPG extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks