Capture card question. Help please.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tim Knapp, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

All i want to do is record my Dish netowrk PVR programs that I have archived on my PVR's hard drive to my pc via
    s-video-to-capture card then burn them to dvd so i can play them on my set top dvd players. What capture card would you guys recommend to do this job for me? I've been looking at some ati cards such as this one. http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.asp?pid=7840

Thank you,
    Tim

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Do you actually want a TV tuner? It probably only works with cable/antenna, so there's no point if you have Dish.

For simplicity and reliability, I would recommend a DV converter, like the Canopus ADVC-110. It's an external box that connects through FireWire and It Just Works. This particular box is kinda pricey, although you should be able to get it for less than retail. (Actually, compared with other DV converters, the price isn't too bad. Here's a list.) If you don't have FireWire on your computer, you'll need to get that, which is in the $20 range; or go with the ADVC-50, which is a PCI card.

At that site, you can also search for other types of capture cards; read the ratings and reviews. The thing is, they're often hit-or-miss as far as problems go.

Once you capture the video, you have to convert it into DVD, which is a whole 'nother subject. There are some long threads here on that topic.

By the way, if there's any way to connect to your PVR directly through a computer, like you can with a ReplayTV (and maybe TiVo) you can save yourself several steps.

3. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

that tuner works with composite and s-video as well. your idea is plausibe but it will be a time consuming process as you will be capturing analog and will have to literally let your recordings play real time in order to capture them.

4. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Ken, no i don't need a tuner. The Canopus ADVC-110 sounds good except it's almost the price of a dvd recorder with a HD. You mentioned software, well,I do need to know what to use since my goal is to get my dish programs onto dvd. I just thought I could get the job done for cheaper since I already own a pc. Maybe my best bet is to go with a dvd recorder if the cost to do this via pc is not much different.

Diallo, I new I was looking at having to record my programs real time. No way around it off of my pvr. Even if I have a dvd recorder i'd have to analog into it from my dish Network PVR.

More input is appreciated. Thanks

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    A somewhat cheaper hardware software solution would be the Pinnacle Studio 9 internal card or their external Movie Box (which has both Firewire and USB 2.0 ports.)

I use the Movie Box version and the USB 2.0 connector to transfer home videos to my PC and then to DVD and used to transfer TiVo recordings the same way, although now I use the TiVo2Go option of their Home Networking service to directly transfer the digital TiVo files to hard disk without the DAC/ADC conversion of the Movie Box.

Regards,

Joe

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

well if that is the case i own the tv wonder pro and it does a great job for me capturing from any source. (cable, ota, s-video and composite) HOWEVER, i use windvr3 as my capture program and capture to uncompressed mpeg-2 so that i can simply convert to vob files and create dvd's.

i have a huge amount of space (approaching a terrabyte) so this is not a problem for me at all. and i prefer not to use avi's, huffy, etc.

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Well, a big factor is "time is money". If you want to do this for fun, that's one thing. But if you just want to get stuff onto disc, and aren't bothered by the limitations of a DVD recorder -- the menus are pretty limited, and you have a small set of recording time-vs-quality choices -- that's probably the way to go, because again, It Just Works (as long as there's no copy protection in the chain) and you'll actually save time because it does it all at once.