1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Captain Marvel sequel (2022)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Megan McDonnell, one of the writers on the Disney+ series "WandaVision", is in final talks to write the screenplay for the Captain Marvel sequel. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck are not being invited back for the sequel, though Marvel is in talks with them about other projects. The sequel will be set post-Endgame.

2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Glad to hear there is movement on this. Surprised Boden and Fleck won’t be back. I thought they did a great job. They made a $1B+ film, why not have them back?

Osato likes this.
  3. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Supporting Actor

Good to hear the news.

Wandavision is shaping up to be a super-consequential MCU series, with its lead-in to Dr Strange & the Multiverse of Madness as well as potentially Captain Marvel 2 (since Monica Rambeau is in WV and was in CM).

4. Message #4 of 4 Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Deadline and Variety (which are technically from the same parent company) are both reporting this but didn't say anything about Boden and Fleck not being invited back. It just says that McDonnell is writing, but doesn't mention who is being eyed to direct. Where did you see that Boden and Fleck are not coming back, @Adam Lenhardt?

Edit: Just saw that THR is reporting on Boden and Fleck's exit.

Although I liked the first movie, I thought the stakes of it were often unclear. They threw us into the middle of an outer space war without giving us context for the world we were entering, and thought we would just be able to along with it, all the while putting us ahead of the main character by showing us her Earth flashbacks, which we did have context for even though she didn't. To be fair, the film also had a lot on its plate because it had to work as both an origin story and table-setting for Endgame, and that must have been very difficult. The movie still worked more often than it didn't, largely because of the chemistry between Larson and Jackson. But the movie overall could have been a lot cleaner, more focused and specific.

Since they are going to change directors, I think there exists an opportunity to find someone with a very distinctive vision who will elevate the next film in the way that the Russos did when they took over Captain America from Joe Johnston. I don't know who that person is necessarily, but I hope Kevin Feige does. If they want to work with someone they already know, they might consider Cate Shortland. Because Natasha is dead, it would appear that Black Widow is unlikely to get a sequel, so moving her to Captain Marvel would allow them to continue working with Shortland on another female-driven title. Or they could bring in someone from the outside. I assume they are going to want a female director on this.

Also, speaking of the chemistry between Larson and Jackson, I assume that leaving Fury where they did in the end of Far From Home is about making him available to appear in the sequel to this film.