What's new

Captain Marvel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
That's great. All joking aside, Endgame is going to have to provide an explanation as to why Fury didn't page her during the Battle of New York for exactly the reason depicted in that video. (Yeah, yeah, they hadn't decided that he had the pager yet, but in-universe that doesn't work.)

The only thing I could think of was that the whole Battle of New York was pretty much due to Fury tinkering around with the tessaract, which he might have decided he didn't want Captain Marvel finding out about.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw Captain Marvel for a third time today. Had some time to kill while my son was at a 3 hour sporting event and the times worked out. It was delightful, again. Also nice to sandwich it in between showings of Endgame (yesterday and tomorrow). What struck me this time was how good Brie Larson is in it. She’s confident, but also shows confusion and frustration. She conveyed exactly what the character was feeling, and it helps us know Carol better.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I will say that although I very much liked CM on my first viewing, I did find myself a little lost by the narrative structure at times. When I watched it for the second time, it worked much better. My second viewing impression was better than my first (which was already good).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will say that although I very much liked CM on my first viewing, I did find myself a little lost by the narrative structure at times. When I watched it for the second time, it worked much better. My second viewing impression was better than my first (which was already good).
That seems to be the case for many people.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think that's because it's non-chronological, and by design it sort of throws us into the film without explaining a lot of the given circumstances. I get that they want us to find things out with Carol, but I'm not entirely sure it worked to the film's advantage because it was not only with characters we hadn't seen before, but also in a setting within the MCU that we hadn't seen before, and we lacked any kind of reference point for it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just as long as it doesn't top WW domestically, I will be happy. :emoji_innocent:

Well, that's not going to happen. I must say the Easter Vacation and pull of Endgame were much stronger than I thought. 3 weeks of virtually the same Revenue instead of the 30-40% steady fall off. Now beyond WW and heading for the next target of Katniss.

Now estimated 413.6M Domestically
Top non-SW Action Heroine movie -- The Hunger Games Catching Fire 424.7M

Also an eye on #20 Domestic is it reaches 425M
E.T probably safe at 435M, but who knows. if it has another 20-30M hiding there,

Top 20 Worldwide seems do-able now as well
24. CM 1110M
21. Aquaman 1148M
20. CA Civil War 1153M
19. Minions 1159M

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, that's not going to happen.

Don't you mean it did happen? As you noted, Captain Marvel is now past the domestic gross of Wonder Woman.

Also an eye on #20 Domestic is it reaches 425M
E.T probably safe at 435M, but who knows. if it has another 20-30M hiding there,

I think where it ends up is probably correlated to how soon the movie becomes available for home viewing. Black Panther hung around until they pushed it to $700 million, but it took way longer to do so than it would have if the home release had been pushed back a bit.

I'd heard they were targeting early June for the home release, which makes sense (Beauty and the Beast also went from a March theatrical to a June home release.) But it hasn't been announced yet, and I wonder if they're deliberately holding back the announcement so as not to stomp on this box office resurgence.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A backward word play

"As long as it doesn't top WW"

"That;s not going to happen" -- i.e. it topped WW, now you can't be happy

Fair enough. :)

The dates I wait for now are 3D Blus from Britain.

Regardless, my point is that the availability on at home, whether in this country or from somewhere else, will inevitably cause a downturn in box office. So if they want to squeeze a little more cash out of it, it might be wise to hold off on that for a while.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Captain Marvel is leaving my area so I had my fourth and final movie theater viewing this afternoon. I must say it held up well for me as I never looked at my phone for the time as those 2+ hours just breezed by. One of my favorite films of the year.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Don’t have a link handy, but I saw a report that said the Captain Marvel blu-ray will have 26 minutes of deleted scenes.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looked at your phone?.?.?

Well, he is either being sarcastic regarding some people's theatre behaviour or he is just saying that the film didn't bore him, even after a fourth viewing, as he didn't constantly check the time on his phone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, he is either being sarcastic regarding some people's theatre behaviour or he is just saying that the film didn't bore him, even after a fourth viewing, as he didn't constantly check the time on his phone.
I'm not being sarcastic at all, but the film didn't bore me either.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Captain Marvel is leaving my area so I had my fourth and final movie theater viewing this afternoon. I must say it held up well for me as I never looked at my phone for the time as those 2+ hours just breezed by. One of my favorite films of the year.

Crawdaddy,

How would you rank between Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks