What's new

Captain Marvel (2019) (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Other than acknowledging that sexism exists at several points in the movie, it's not preachy at all. It's a story of self-discovery and empowerment, but her arc could have been as easily applied to a male character as a female one.

Why should she have to apologize for stating her opinion just because a bunch of overgrown crybabies were too sensitive?

It wasn't about covering up the fact that people were angry. It was about countering an organized campaign to artificially skew the audience score by a small group of entitled people who hadn't even seen the film yet. I don't think the site has a problem with people who see a film and then have a negative reaction to it. But they don't want scores artificially inflated or deflated by people who have agendas that have nothing to do with the movie.

Disney doesn't give two craps about your money. It's a drop in the bucket for them. The only one you're punishing is yourself, by denying yourself a fun, entertaining time at the movies.

You're certainly entitled to do so; I won't go see Roman Polanski or Woody Allen movies because of my own personal convictions. But we're probably deluding ourselves in thinking it makes any real difference.

I like to go out for a nice dinner before going to the movies. I don't know how long that's going to take ahead of time, so I don't want to commit to a showtime ahead of time. Before, it wasn't a problem. With assigned seating, it is.

And of course, now they get you to pay the $4 convenience fee to buy the tickets online ahead of time on top of the $14 ticket price, whereas before you could buy them at the box office without worrying that all of the best seats would be gone.

But the biggest issue for me is that way more people show up late after the movie has started than did before assigned seating.
We don’t have a fee for online purchases, and prefer to go for dinner after the show.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
You're avoiding his point. If a white male actor did say such a thing, the reaction would be very different. The people saying "who cares, it's just her opinion" would NOT react the same way. You know it and I know it.

I wasn't intentionally avoiding his point. To be clear the reaction would be different, sure. But I think we also both know why the reaction would be different and the history and context that would inform the ensuing controversy.

Speaking as a white male over 40, I can't say I am at all bothered by Ms. Larson's original comments, or the likelihood that a white male actor couldn't make a similar observation.

The real pity here is that all of this discussion loses site of the fact that this is a really fun movie, on par with Marvel's recent output, Larson is terrific in the role, and Captain Marvel, a character I really knew nothing about before seeing this film, has become one of my favorite characters in the MCU.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
So there was no massive campaign to "review bomb" the movie. All you could do is answer a question.

I'm not sure if you are being purposefully obtuse, but there was absolutely a brigading campaign to negatively (and artificially) depress the "want to see" score. Is it technically incorrect to call the want to see score a "review score?" Yes. Does the score act as a stand in for reviews until the movie is released (i.e. does it gauge reaction to trailers, interviews, media appearances, etc--however inaccurate--before release)? Yes.

Was there a trolling campaign? Yes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just am just getting tired of being preached to like a child. Like they did this season on Dr. Who.

Doctor Who is a children’s show.

It’s enjoyed by many adults around the world - I’m one of them - but the show is primarily made for and aimed at children.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Doctor Who is a children’s show.
Technically Doctor Who hasn't been a children's show since Pat Troughton was the Doctor. Family show? Yes...maybe (the term seems rather questionable when describing Pertwee's first two years). But a Children's show? Not since they dumped all educational content beginning in Season 7.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
A friend we saw the movie with* mentioned there was a bunch of online freakout over a historically female character being played by a female.

I do not side with my fellow white males who are offended by the whole brouhaha, but the character of Captain Marvel is historically male. The Carol Danvers character was Ms. Marvel for some 40 years before being reassigned more recently.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I admit I have been scarred away by the comment from the Star and Director. I don't want to watch it if it is too political.
This isn't a sexist thing, I am perfectly OK with strong women. I just am just getting tired of being preached to like a child. Like they did this season on Dr. Who.

I was looking forward to this movie (like all Marvel movies) until the comments came out. I was even hoping for some clarification or apology from the star or studio but Larsen just basically double down and the studio remained silent. Then "the powers that be" basically made Rotten Tomatoes change their whole website to cover up the fact that people were angry.

I will wait until I can get this via Netflix (I still rent Blu-Rays the old fashion way). They apparently don't want my money, so I really don't want to give it to them. I assume that the money they get from me renting is much less than they would get if I went to a theater.

My advice:

Ignore stupid comments by people with agendas (whatever “side” they are from) on the internet and just enjoy seeing movies.

Edit: Just to clarify, I do not think the comments made by Larsen are stupid because if anyone actually cares to read the actual comments in the context in which they were actually made they are reasonable and shouldn’t be offensive to anyone.

But frankly I feel that most of these types of internet comments and arguments have nothing to do with the experience of just watching freaking movies.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I liked Captain Marvel, but it didn’t grab me and I didn’t feel the type of impact that I would have hoped.

On first view my feeling is that it was enjoyable but unremarkable. I would echo some of the comments about feeling that the pacing was somewhat off. This type of feeling often improves for me with movies, and I am looking forward to seeing if it resonates more for me on my next viewing in week or so. I did really like the character and I think she has great potential going forward.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Just want to add my two cents that I too thoroughly enjoyed Captain Marvel. I saw it in RealD 3D on Thursday night at our local multiplex here in Idaho Falls. Captain Marvel may be the MCU's 21st overall feature, but this new entry still manages to feel brand-new in the story-telling approach of its heroine. When we first meet her, the Captain has no memory of her life prior to waking up on a distant planet six years previously. She has flashes of a life she isn't sure is really hers or the byproduct of a cruel mind experiment. But over the course of the film, which is told brilliantly in a non-narrative format, we find out exactly who the woman known only as Vers truly is and what she is capable of. With underlying themes of empowerment and courage and a never-say-quit attitude, Captain Marvel has rightfully earned her place alongside all of the Avengers. I loved this new take on the superhero origin story and can't wait to see what she will do in next month's Avengers: Endgame!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
That's far enough. Under those circumstances, I can see why assigned seating makes sense for you. It's just been a big negative for me.
I have also found that two things can happen to me if I eat before a movie:

1) I have to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes. :emoji_confounded:

Or

2) I nod off! :emoji_expressionless:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think most of the hassles with assigned seating could be easily resolved in everyone’s favor if the theaters cared about audience behavior - which they don’t, and didn’t before reserved seating too.

For instance, the complaint that reserved seating allows people to walk in and be disruptive after the movie begins. Theaters shouldn’t be letting patrons in after the film has begun. That’s on the theater.

Or the complaint that you get stuck next to someone talking through the film. People shouldn’t talk through the movie, it’s against the posted rules, and most theaters say they’ll remove people for being disruptive. The problem is, they never do. That’s on the theater too.

I think reserved seating is a good idea that is often poorly implemented because theaters believe that it absolves them of their responsibility to ensure a good environment. It does not.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked Captain Marvel, but it didn’t grab me and I didn’t feel the type of impact that I would have hoped.
I think that's why I ranked it as low as I did, even though taken on its own, it's a really enjoyable time at the movies. Superhero movies are like Westerns used to be in the middle of the twentieth century. There have been so many, and we've seen so many, that it takes a lot more than it used to for even the good ones to stand out.

If this had been a Phase 1 movie instead of a Phase 3 movie, I think it would have had a lot more impact. But most of the pieces we've seen before. And the amnesia angle necessarily meant that we didn't dig as deeply into Carol Danvers as a person as we did with the other standalone origin stories. We only got to know bits and pieces of her life, because she only knew bits and pieces of her life. It's an interesting approach for an origin story, where the hero's learning her backstory alongside (or even a little behind) the audience. But it's distancing.

Part of why Chris Evans's version of Captain America is so beloved is because Captain America: The First Avenger spent so much time defining and exploring Steve Rogers as a man. The later movies, especially the ensemble Avengers movies where Captain America doesn't have a ton of screen time, can convey a lot with a sort of abbreviated shorthand, because the filmmakers know the audience is bringing their relationship with the character from that movie with them.

If there's a Captain Marvel sequel after Endgame, I hope it does what this movie could not, and spend a lot of time with Carol Danvers the human woman, and let Captain Marvel the cosmic avenger, take a little bit of a backseat.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh brother what is going on in this topic?

I can’t believe there is anyone in here that seriously won’t see this movie due some perceived idea to what Larson said.
If you aren’t seeing this movie due to whatever you think Larson was talking about that is seriously short sighted and just simply dumb.

If that’s why you aren’t seeing this movie then you’re undoubtedly the people she is talking about.

There’s one person in here who is so over the top nonsensical not just here but all over this forum that I don’t even believe it’s a real person, I believe that it’s a character being performed.

Anyway maybe all that should be left out since it really isn’t discussion about the movie.

The movie was terrific.
Not great but surely in the top half of the MCU.

Saw it in an imax that was about 1/3 full at an 11:30 show today.
There was a lot of little kids in there but they were all well behaved (quiet) throughout.

The 124 minutes flew by. Didn’t even seem that long.
The opening Marvel Logo almost brought a tear to my eye.
Kevin Smith is now part of the MCU.

I rarely see movies at the movies more then once anymore but I might try to see this one again.

My only question is that I would have liked the handling of Mar-Vell to be different then what we got in the movie.
4/5 stars.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Saw this on Thursday night, one of my most anticipated MCU entries. Not only because it is the bridge between Infinity War and Endgame, but because it's something new in the MCU (first female-led superhero film).

Opening 20 min or so were clunky and murky, which drops this a point or 2. Picks up on Earth, and Carol's relationships with Fury & the Rambeaus keep it engaging. Loved Talos and his science guy!

While I understand they have to keep the run time manageable, maybe having more plot and character development during the pre-Earth segment would have made this portion more solid and satisfying. Even I, who is not a comics reader, but has read up on the background and history on Carol, realise the Kree and Skrulls and their conflict need more exposition. Imagine having, say, 45 min to explore Carol's life and activities as part of Starforce. Perhaps, given the time constraints, the directors realised they had to rush through that opening to get to the fun stuff.

Looking forward to a 2nd viewing on Sunday. While not quite top tier MCU for me (as of now), it's not far off, and the events after she reaches Earth are really growing on me. I also felt we haven't seen the full expanse of Carol's abilities yet. For one, the threat in this film isn't the same as Thanos' plans in Infinity War. And two, I'm sure they're saving the more intense battles for Endgame. I can't wait for her to face off against the Mad Titan!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Second viewing today with the wife and kids. Everyone loved it, like really loved it. One of my sons said "I thought it would be good, but it was better than I thought - like, a lot better." My other son said it was "awesome." He was the one cheering during the movie.

Great crowd today too. The theater was packed, not a spare seat anywhere and the audience cheered and clapped a lot. At the end of the first scene after the credits (you know which one), there was a collective roar -- the likes of which I haven't heard from a crowd since maybe the second Rambo in 1985.

I hope to be able to see it again in the theater, although I admit that's a tall order, given my limited time and all the movies coming between now and Endgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks