What's new

Captain Marvel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The first but I am trying to avoid spoilers so I won't be more specific.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Ok. I hope I manage to notice whatever it is you think I should be noticing in that thing. ;)

Edit: NM, I know the answer to what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
This wasn't a bad movie, but if I had to rank all the MCU films this one would be in the bottom half for me.
I would say bottom 5 for me. Probably closer to bottom 3. I was pretty disappointed. It's nowhere near as good as any of the three they released last year.

I did think Brie Larson was fantastic though. I loved her performance.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Liked it, although it has what I see as a flaw with all of the superhero movies—lots of fist fights with fireworks. Still, for this genre I'd give it a pretty high rating of B+.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just found out we have an AMC about 75 minutes way that has an imax.
Early day first shows are half the price of the imax that’s closer.
Got tix for Saturday morning.

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
It has to be pre-End Game, doesn't it? Thanos has all the stones in End Game.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'll also point out that I think this is the most Sam Jackson we've seen in a Marvel movie. His 2nd billing is very much deserved, I just wish he didn't have to look DNR'd in every shot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree with most of the early reviews posted here. I thought the film was really good. All of my misgivings about Larson has disappeared. I was totally engaged in Captain Marvel and can't wait to see it again tomorrow in Dolby Cinema. Also, the film had plenty of humor throughout the film so I don't understand that criticism by some outside posted review that it needed more humor. I didn't have any issues in the de-aging process except a few scenes with Agent Coulson. I'm not going to rank this film with the other 20 movies until I see it again. Anyhow, I'm a happy camper and my audience seem to enjoy the movie quite a lot and they seem quite engaged too. Also, my 10:00 p.m. showing was almost full so a bunch of people bought tickets after I bought mine earlier in the afternoon.

Edit: One thing, I forgot to say is that Samuel L. Jackson and Brie Larson had good film chemistry in this movie as I enjoyed their banter. Also, Fury was quite different in this film versus his personality in those prior Marvel films. I'm sure life experiences changed him over time.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I was kind of looking forward to seeing this, but since the lead actor doesn't make films for White males over 40 I might skip it instead.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Anyhow, I'm a happy camper and my audience seem to enjoy the movie quite a lot and they seem quite engaged too. Also, my 10:00 p.m. showing was almost full so a bunch of people bought tickets after I bought mine earlier in the afternoon.

Our theater was not 100% full, but I chalked that up to being in the Real D 3D theater (not IMAX) and not the first showing of the night. A healthy mix of all people, groups and singles included. We're two guys who don't miss any Marvel movie in the theater.

It was about what I expected; I'd put it on par with First Avenger because most other comparisons are meaningless. There was plenty of humor-not as much as Thor Ragnarok or a Guardians film; plenty of tie ins to the larger MCU while telling it's own story; and-gasp-lots of diversity. There are bits early on which feel a touch slow, but I had to keep reminding myself what this film has to do: introduce a new character, line up with the MCU and tell a story. It's not an easy thing to do.

I'm gonna try to sneak back to the theater to see it again in the next week. Hopefully.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I was kind of looking forward to seeing this, but since the lead actor doesn't make films for White males over 40 I might skip it instead.
Well, some of them either didn't get the message or more likely don't give a rip what a celebrity says in an interview as I saw plenty of white males over 40 in my audience.:)

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well......after all my fears I loved it.

More soon.

**More**;)
Ok. So I thought it was entertaining from beginning to end. It’s a smaller scale Marvel film but up to their standard as usual.

I had no issue with Brie Larsons performance. She was great. Also Sam Jackson gave his best performance of all the Marvel films he’s been in.

The story was fine given it’s an origin story and I liked the twists and turns it took. The action was well staged and exciting.

Some of the CGI was sketchy but not the de-aging process. I thought young Fury looked terrific.

I’m happy to have been wrong about this one.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I disagree with most of the early reviews posted here. I thought the film was really good. All of my misgivings about Larsen has disappeared. I was totally engaged in Captain Marvel and can't wait to see it again tomorrow in Dolby Cinema. Also, the film had plenty of humor throughout the film so I don't understand that criticism by some outside posted review that it needed more humor. I didn't have any issues in the de-aging process except a few scenes with Agent Coulson. I'm not going to rank this film with the other 20 movies until I see it again. Anyhow, I'm a happy camper and my audience seem to enjoy the movie quite a lot and they seem quite engaged too. Also, my 10:00 p.m. showing was almost full so a bunch of people bought tickets after I bought mine earlier in the afternoon.

Edit: One thing, I forgot to say is that Samuel L. Jackson and Brie Larsen had good film chemistry in this movie as I enjoy their banter. Also, Fury was quite different in this film versus regarding his personality in those prior Marvel films. I'm sure life experiences changed him over time.
Yup. I agree with everything you said.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I loved it. I had pretty high expectations and it exceeded them.

My 10:15 am showing was pretty crowded, men and women, young and old. I think this movie is going to do very well, despite the efforts of the pathetic crowd that's using bots to review bomb it on RT.

Brie Larson was great. She gave us a thorough performance and a well-rounded character. Carol should be a somewhat tortured soul, and she should also be a tough-as-nails warrior. I loved that she showed many sides of Carol. She made the friendships with Maria and Monica real. When Monica sees Carol zoom off into the sky, it's like the moment when Picard's nephew dreams of captaining a starship in The Next Generation. Thrilling.

Samuel L. Jackson has never really been better as Nick Fury. He's never had as much to do, for one thing. He really gave us insight into Fury, as we see where he came from and how he got where we know him. Fury's friendship with Carol was real.

Loved Ben Mendleson. Everything that's been said about him stealing his scenes is true. So nice not to have a mustache-twirling villain. Always glad to see more of Clark Gregg.

The script was great. It kept the surprises coming and it honored Carol's story, with elements from the comics followed nicely. The vibe of the movie was great. It really was a 90s buddy action picture, complete with cars chasing a train. Nice soundtrack too (now, release it, Disney!).

I'll be seeing this again tomorrow with the wife and kids. I predict they will love it. Especially the cat. Oh, and regarding the cat:
the scene at the very end is definitely in the 90s. All you have to do is look at the size of the monitor on Fury's desk. No one had a monitor like that after about 2004. Also, does anyone think Fury was in the same office as director, with a nameplate on the desk that said "N Fury"?

Absolutely loved
Carol's appearance with the Avengers, and her line "Where's Fury?" Those 2 seconds can get anyone excited for Endgame.
Also loved Fury's scene when
he notices that Carol's callsign was "Avenger." Just brilliant.

The visuals were beautiful, although I found some of them - especially on that Kree border planet in the beginning - to be a bit dark, so I was really glad when Carol got to Earth and was having fights in the daytime.

I hope every little girl - and little boy - sees this and remembers that small montage of scenes where Carol keeps getting up and doesn't quit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks