What's new

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) (2 Viewers)

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
Hey, awesome. I don't know if it is just me but it seems like super hero movies are getting a lot better than they used to be. I still refuse to see the Superman flick, but everyone else seems to be putting out awesome movies.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Richard V said:
I hate the new Cap uniform. Sucks, IMO.
I wouldn't worry. I don't think that is the only uniform Cap will be wearing in The Winter Soldier. The concept art they have released has so far been relatively close to what we've seen from the set pictures. So we've seen this:
image.jpg
And then this:
image.jpg
Then we've seen this:
image.jpg
and then these:
image.jpg
image.jpg
But then we've also recently seen this new concept art:
image.jpg
And now at Comic Con, there is this on display:
image.jpg
Winter Soldier is unmasked in this newest concept art, so it's likely from the climax, or at least the later part of the film. I think that the story will start with Cap trying to acclimate to present day society and feeling disillusioned about the modern word/politics. And I think he'll be more an "agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. instead of "Captain America", and thus the "super soldier" suit. But I think that S.H.I.E.L.D. will be compromised and Steve, Nick Fury, and the rest will be on the outs (or on the run). There have been some rumors that Steve will break into the Smithsonian to grab a display version of this WWII era suit to use after all that goes down. That's just rumors and guesses based on promotional art and set photos, but I think it's likely to be somewhere in the ballpark. So I think we'll ultimately see Cap in the modified version of his WWII uniform like in the concept art on Comic Con photos above.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
An interesting quote from director Joe Russo about the connection between the Winter Soldier and both Avengers films:
"There's a very strong connection in the narrative between the events of the end of "Avengers" that drive this film -- and there's a very strong hand off to "Avengers 2" at the end of this movie. And Kevin Feige's whole thing is that this is the biggest bridge of all of Phase 2 movies; it really is. It does involve the most amount of Avengers of any of the films in Phase 2, and it has sort of a, you know, there's a very big shift in the universe at the end of this movie."

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
As I speculated, the S.H.I.E.L.D. suit is "stealth suit", and there will be other suits in the film. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Black-Widow-Loyalty-Howling-Commandos-Joe-Anthony-Russo-Talk-Captain-America-38668.html
image.jpg
“So, it’s out there, but for us, it was, it’s thematic for the film, you know,” says Joe Russo. “You’ll see when you see the movie what he’s doing and who he’s working for in the beginning of the film, that costume is appropriate for what they’re asking him to do. It is a stealth outfit. It is for secret missions and I think that, you know, it’s thematic. You know, you read online, people get rankled when you, you know, mess with the stars and the stripes, but there’s a very specific reason we did it in this film. We won’t talk about the other outfits that appear in the movie, which you’ll see in the movie, but again, I’ll just say, that the use of the costume in this film has a very thematic arc to it and hopefully a very arousing arc.” Cap's new advanced fighting style also factored into the costume's design, says Anthony Russo. “It’s very much grounded in real military sort of functionality and purpose. He kicks a lot of ass in this film.” Dotting more on Cap's combat skills, Joe Russo reveals, “Cap is a very sharp individual and part of the serum accelerates his learning ability and if he’s going to be working for who he’s working for at the beginning of the movie, then we felt that he would be the absolute best at every style of fighting that he could be and that he would train himself to be the best to fit into a modern society.” Noting that it made sense in the first film that Cap had a sort of John Sullivan approach to fighting, Joe continues, “Now, he’s trained. He’s trained exhaustively among some of the best people in the world. So, you see all sorts of movement out of him and we did a lot of intensive research with our stunt team, a lot of pre-fight videos and things that we’re really experimenting with how he would move in this movie, how he would fight. I think people will be really shocked when they see his style of fighting.”
Love the sound of Cap's fighting style being amped up in this! That is definitely something I thought they haven't quite nailed in his first two outings. I read another interview with Chris earlier (I'll have to find it and post it later) where he said he's been doing lots of fight training but also lots of gymnastic and parkour training. He said that he played the Captain America video game and thought that that is how his fighting should be handled in the movies. He had a meeting with the Russos and they showed him various fights from things to demonstrate the fighting style they wanted to portray in the movie, and one of them was the intro for the Captain America video game. He said he knew they were on the same page about how Cap's fighting abilities should be amped up.Here's the interview:http://omg.yahoo.com/video/yo-captain-america-does-gymnastics-223406485.html

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
More from the Russos:
Technically speaking, is this a sequel to Captain America or is this a sequel to The Avengers? The title suggests one thing, but the chronology suggests another.Joe Russo: It’s a little bit of a sequel to both. I mean obviously the character has advanced. He’s been frozen for seventy years. It has narrative elements that tie to the first movie and it has narrative elements that tie directly to The Avengers and also has narrative elements that tie directly to Avengers 2. I think, and Kevin [Feige] has said this, it’s as big of a bridge of any of the Phase 2 movies from Avengers to Avengers 2. There’s a significant shift in the universe at the end of this movie. Like all of the Marvel movies it has elements of all of the other films, this one I think has probably the strongest bond between those goals.That suggests that you have a lot of structural Marvel Universe stuff to do while you’re also crafting character-centric action.JR: The interesting thing about that is that the script was structured so well that it’s not really something that… The things that happen in the movie are really germane to the movie and germane to Cap. The big shift in the universe happens because of him. It’s not something where we had to feel like we had to patchwork in all of these other narrative elements, it’s really Markus and McFeely wrote an amazing script that really streamlined this concept that Kevin wanted to get out there.Anthony Russo: And it’s very personal to Cap, too. I think that’s the other thing, even though it’s a big event that connects it to the rest of the universe, it’s very much Cap’s relationship to that and we enter the whole thing through him. So it’s all riding on his shoulders and in terms of his experience at this moment with this movie.
There's more interesting stuff in the full interview. http://www.slashfilm.com/interview-captain-america-the-winter-soldier-directors-promise-a-significant-shift-in-the-marvel-universe/

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The following is a description of a scene showed at D23 today. It's just a scene description and doesn't get into any significant plot points:
The footage was in black and white, featuring unfinished animation and animatics. It’s a very rough early clip. Cap and Black Widow are passengers in a plane, bantering, talking about what they have planned for the upcoming weekend. Black Widow: “You doing anything Saturday night?” Cap: “All the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so, you know.”Cap gets ready to jump out as the plane is over water. Is he wearing a parachute? Nope! Cap just flies through the sky, no ‘chute, and dives into the water feet first. Nearby is a huge cargo ship, rendered via animatic in the clip’s current state. There are many guards on the ship, but Cap climbs up the anchor chain to the deck. He silently takes out one guard, and throws his shild at another. In short order, cap runs around the perimeter of the deck, just kicking ass. At a dead run, he takes out almost a dozen guards. Some go down with just one hit.One guy is about to pull fire alrm, but Cap throws a knife through his hand. This is a more brutal Captain America — a one-man black ops squad. There’s no dialogue in this sequence; just fighting. Cap’s fighting techniques are way more modern than the last time we saw him. He’s learned new moves; the action in general is much more hard-hitting and intense.Finally, Frank Grillo parachutes down and helps take out one guy. Black Widow also lands on the ship, and begins shooting some of the remaining guards. Despite the setting and action, she’s still in weekend mode. Black Widow: “How about the nurse who stays aross the hall from you? She seems nice.” Cap: “You don’t have to get me a date.”That was the cut point, and the reaction to the clip was huge.
Also, there is a new official synopsis. It doesn't seem to spoil any major plot points:
After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” finds Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, living quietly in Washington, D.C. and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy—the Winter Soldier.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is the one I'm most excited about. I thought the first Captain America movie was the best of the phase one movies. It'll be interesting to see how Captain America's experiences with the Black Widow in this film affect their relationship in Avengers 2.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The "Agent Carter" one shot on the Iron Man 3 blu-ray was excellent!Very intertaining and well done. I'd love to see more of that. I hope the rumors of this being the inspiration for another Marvel TV series holds true.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought the bit with Howard and Dum Dum Doogan during the credits was priceless.
image.jpg

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Sean Bryan said:
The "Agent Carter" one shot on the Iron Man 3 blu-ray was excellent!Very intertaining and well done. I'd love to see more of that. I hope the rumors of this being the inspiration for another Marvel TV series holds true.
I just don't think that will happen IMO. It would basically be the same show as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but in the past. Maybe I'll be wrong because honestly, I think it would have been more interesting to have Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. set in the past before the world new about super heroes and part of there mission was to keep it a secret.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm very excited to see Cap drop the hammer (shield) on some fools.

I like the poster a lot. I wish there was an approved federal budget on his back instead of his shield, though.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding (no, I'm not).

Great poster, though. Excited for the trailer. Thor and Captain America remain my favorite standalone movies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Why April for such a big budget movie? Does that somehow indicate less confidence in the movie by the studio? Or is summer already too crowded?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks