What's new

"Caps Lock" LED stuck on when shutdown (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I had something odd happen today, when I shut off my PC, the Caps Lock LED was still on, I had to turn off the hard switch in the back to get it off, even though the PC was shut down the normal way (soft power down). It was very odd...

Since most of the newer PS units are software controlled to power up/down, is this normal or just a fluke? My PS (Enermax 350W one has a switch on the back which I simply shut off and on to clear it)..

Jay

(OOPS, wrong forum, hopefully this will be in the PC forum soon...sorry!)

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Every now and then my computer does that (and when I had an AMD northbridge and a netgear NIC it did it permenantly). I *BELIEVE* it is a quirk with the power management that modern PC's have. IMO the power management on PC's is a nightmare. I've never managed to get it totally stable, and I tend to totally disable it.

Basically, don't worry about it, it's not an unknown 'feature'. It doesn't do any harm.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've noticed that it's only the caps-lock LED, not the Num Lock one, as the Num Lock LED is on at boot up but the Caps Lock LED is used when I play Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which is really the only reason I noticed it the other day... I guess I'll have to look into the Power Saving section in the Bios... I don't use it as I tend to turn my PC off when I'm off it for long periods of time...

Jay

Hugh M

Second Unit
it could be that "keyboard power on" is enabled on your motherboard. this may be a setting in the bios as well as a jumper on the board itself. what it is doing is providing the keyboard with power so that when you hit a certain key it comes back on.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, on my motherboard (EPoX 8kha+) I think there's only a couple jumpers, CMOS reset and I think the 100/133 FSB speed setting, I think theres a few more but they're unrelated, Wake-on LAN support or something like that. There might be some BIOs stuff but I haven't checked. Of the three LEDs on the keyboard (NumLock, CapsLock, ScrollLock) my testing shows that the PC will turn off the NumLock but both the CapsLock and ScollLock will remain in their same position as it was at powerdown. Not a biggie, but when the PC is in your bedroom and you shut the lights out, you notice every damm LED that's on! It's usually then when I notice I've left the printer on, or my external modem on, etc.. :)
Jay

Hugh M

Second Unit
Well, on my motherboard (EPoX 8kha+)
do you have a manual? Because I have the 8K7A+ and I have settings on a jumper, and in the BIOS as well. These both pertain to Keyboard Power On. And if this is enabled then the keyboard is fed power in order for it to be able to power the system back on.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, I have a manual, but they never explain the Bios in a manner that's actually useful... They'll tell how to change it but they never really go into why or what the consequences are..
Turning your PC on via keyboard, ala a Macintosh, eh? Interesting, not that I'd ever use it but I'll go see.. First, I'll have to find the manual though.. :D
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks