What's new

CAPS LOCK issue on my Macbook Pro (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just noticed something strange....

My CAPS LOCK key is lit as being "on" yet I am typing
in small print.

If I turn the CAPS LOCK key off, EVERYTHING TYPES IN CAPITAL
LETTERS.

What the heck is going on?!

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
If you have Function keys set to work as standard function keys in "System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse>Keyboard Tab" then your "Fn key" (as a modifier key) could be locked on. Just tap the Fn key to unlock it.

OR

Look in "System Preferences>Universal Access>Keyboard Tab" and see is "Sticky Keys" has been turned on. If so your "Shift Key" (as a modifier key) could be locked on. Just tap the Fn key to unlock it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Daryl,

Sticky keys wasn't on, but get this....

Upon a reboot the problem went away.

Very strange. thanks for your help.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Ronald,

Glad you got it corrected. Once I read your reply it reminded me of a very similar situation about a week or so ago. My Capslock light was on and if I turned it off only the integrated numberpad worked. Rebooting is what corrected it also.

gabriel2009

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabriel
Hi,

I just notice today after 1 week of not using my macbook pro ( left behind in my house) , I was out in a field work.

The letters that I type in my email and applications are always in capital letters, the caps LED is turning off and on once I pressed it. I turn off the caps lock , still the letters are all in capital format..

Any help I can get from you.???

gab

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gab:

Try going into your System Preferences > Keyboard as described in the above posts and play around with some the functions that others have mentioned or unless you have specific keys

set up reset your keyboard to your default. Then reboot and see if that fixes it.

Parker

k9trainerlarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
All I did was update Adobe and after it restarted everything I type on my macbook pro is caps. A couple of the discussion boards I checked indicated it would go away if I rebooted, so I did. Now I can't enter my password because it will only type capitals....every key is capitalized, including the number keys. I'm locked out of my macbook now until I figure out a way to log in. So, I'm looking for the answer on my iMac. I have the latest update to Lion, I don't run bootcamp and don't use a number keypad. Doesn't matter if the caps lock key is on or not...everything is caps. Can someone help me figure out a way to log on to my macbook and fix this issue?

mvv614

Auditioning
Real Name
monica
The same problem happened to my macbook a few years ago. I tried the FN key trick but it only worked temporarily. After attempting to reboot because i could only type in CAPS i could not log on because i was unable to type special characters that are included in my password. i had to take it to the apple store where they checked the circuit board and found a little "water damage" which i denied. they were able to dust off the circuit board enough and i haven't had the problem since. It's really annoying but I think if you can take it in they can most likely fix it without sending it in. they advised me to get a new laptop in case of failure but 3 years after it's working just fine. hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks