What's new

Caprica (1 Viewer)

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Too many unecessary spoilers (IMHO). If it has to do with "ancient history" or BSG (both of which are in the public domain) why do so? Just do the research!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Again I ask, if you don't want to know anything about the backstory for Battlestar Galactica, why watch "Caprica" first? Everyone is doing their best to follow the spoiler guidelines, but that doesn't change the fact that the new show is impacted by the old show, and one of the joys of watching "Caprica" for BSG fans will be figuring out how it changes what we know from the main series. If that particular vein of conversation bothers you, don't open the spoiler boxes.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Final thought on spoilers for me. This may not be a good analogy... But I don't recall many of us spoiling the original BSG series when making comparisons. Surely there was greater time gap between them and BSG than BSG and Caprica. I would even venture to guess that some of the contributers to this thread weren't even born.

I really don't care about the spoilers, it just seems ludicrous to use them (about BSG) for this thread. It only takes a second to access them anyway.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert A. Willis Jr.

Final thought on spoilers for me. This may not be a good analogy...
I think the best example is Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. If there was an Angel thread, I would feel free to talk about what the Angel character did when he was still on Buffy. And If I hadn't seen Buffy, I wouldn't go into an Angel thread and not expect spoilers for Buffy.

Having said that, I'll still respect the no spoiler rule.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'll vote for ending the spoilers for BSG. Here's why: I watch Lost, but I frequently watch it several days after it airs. I know that if I read the HTF thread on Lost, I'm likely to be spoiled for what I haven't seen yet (and frequently, I read it anyway!). That's my choice. Caprica is related to BSG. It may come before it on the TV timeline, but it comes after it for viewers. You should know whether you watch the show or read this thread that there may be spoilers for BSG. That's your choice.

End the spoilers.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I just read your awesome post in answer to Sam summarizing the history of humans and Cylons in the BSG universe.

I love BSG and have watched every single episode but there are parts of that story are completely novel to me, like the stuff with the fives and Cavil, and why the war ended etc... Were we supposed to get all that from the show?! I have zero recollection of this stuff ever getting discussed on the series.

Perhaps in The Plan? I watched perhaps 15 mins of it the other day and got interrupted.

--
H

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Holadem,

That info was revealed in a somewhat clumsy exposition by Anders after his brain injury. It triggered the repressed memories and he spend the episode alternately almost dying / revealing to his fellow old-style skin jobs / being told that he neede to go into surgery NOW.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I see. Thanks Hughes. I guess I need to watch that again. I do remember that massive info dump, and thinking how clumsy it was, but at the same time feeling grateful for the explanations. Very obviously, I didn't get everything -- far from it.

--
H

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I'm glad some people found the summary useful.

Hugh is correct--most of the backstory is revealed by Anders in the episode "No Exit." Also, in that same episode, Ellen also gives a large amount of history (some of which I left out of the summary) while chatting with Cavil. This is where we learn (more) about the number seven model, the Temple of Hopes/Five on the Algae Planet, and an explanation of the events we saw on Kobol (the star map).

We learn that after the 13th Tribe left Kobol, they still had some contact with those the other colonists left behind on the planet. It's unknown if this included regular trips back, but at some point, the night sky as viewed from Earth was programmed into the Tomb of Athena.

The other major revelation of Ellen is that the images of the Five within the Temple of Hopes was *not* programmed by the Five to show their faces, rather, that it was the reprogrammed by the Cylon One God.

I remember watching that episode and pulling a Locke from LOST -- "we're going to need to watch that again..."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Friday's episode further muddied the waters. Joseph Adama isn't too far morally from his hitman -- gay! -- brother, what with bribing judges and cavalierly calling for a hit on Greystone's wife. The dead Adama daughter lives, or at least her digital duplicate does. Zoe created her avatar to serve the one true God, but didn't trust Sister Clarice with it. Lacy is getting manipulated by both the Zoe avatar and Sister Clarice, and is painfully well aware of it. Who -- or what -- was the voice on the other side of the confessional?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Another good episode. It's clear (at least for now) why the Admiral was unhappy that Lee idolized his grandfather.

Also, my closed-captioning wasn't working, but was the reporter Daniel finally agreed to meet with named "Playa?" If so, I wonder if she's related to the one from BSG--nice little nod if so.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Brilliant summation Josh. I haven't been able to keep it all straight in my own head, don't have time to rewatch BSG (much as I would like to) and your summation really helped!

Originally Posted by Robert A. Willis Jr.

Having Zoe's character embedded in the cylon body is very logical (I think) after all she is a believer in one god and in BSG the Cylons were believers in one god. I think I see where this is going.
It's even more than that. Christianity has the concept of the Trinity: the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. It was mentioned in Zoe Avatar's discussion with Lacey how she is now three different entities in one: the avatar created by Zoe, the original Zoe (who otherwise is now dead), as well as the Cylon body she now inhabits.

And I don't get why Joseph Adama comes across as a "moral lawyer". Even before he asked his brother to take out Amanda Graystone, he was already regularly bribing judges. Not a very moral thing to do. And he was readily prepared to steal some hi-tech to assist Daniel Graystone to 'resurrect' his daughter.

But don't get me wrong, this makes for a fascinating show.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the latest installment. I'm not exactly sure who to root for in this show. I thought Adama was gonna be the good guy! Given young Bill's role models, I'm surprised the "old man" turned out alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks