1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Capacitors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Lko, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Brian_Lko

Brian_Lko Auditioning

OK, I found a place in Canada with pretty good prices, Q Components in Waterloo, ON. A few questions,

They seem to have two grades of capacitor, cheap and expensive. I am currently going to build the center channel fromthe Audax website, if all goes well, I'll build the rest.

The total $ for all the capacitors for the center channel crossover(s) is $10 for the cheap ones, and $92 for the better ones. Considering the entire project is well under $300 (cdn), this is alot more.

Well, is it $80 better?

My current plan is to use the cheaper capacitors for now, upgrade once the box is done and I am satisfied. Trying to limit my overall $ exposure, don't need to spend all the money and pack it away 1/2 done..

Advice please?

2. Jon Hancock

Jon Hancock Stunt Coordinator

Without knowing the details of the Audax design, or what kind of caps you're being quoted for "cheap" or "expensive", the best reccomendation I can give for the sweet spot on the curve is the GE Polypropylene caps sold by Madisound. They don't have a wide rage of values, but it's easy to parallel to get what you need. Also, Madisound sells Solen PP caps in a wide range of values, so you could probably hit you required values easily.
    Whether it's worth it to you depends on the rest of your system, and your current and future goals, I'd recommend staying away from non polar electrolytic caps, and ferrite cored inductors. For low coloration in the crossover, stay with air core coils and poly caps.
    Best regards,
    Jon[​IMG]

3. Brian_Lko

Brian_Lko Auditioning

Sorry, I guess I should have put a few more details in. The 'cheap' capacitors are listed as electrolytic, non polarized, non-inductive wound, 10% tol, 100VDC, rubber end seals. The more expensive ones are metallized polyester, non polarized, non inductive wound, polyester film wrap, epoxy resin end seals. 10 uF cheap is $1.00, expensive is $5.20. It doesn't seem like much, but ends up more than tripling the cost of the crossover.

I'm actually kind of curious, I probably will end up using the cheap ones initially, then putting in the expensive ones, too hear the difference.

As far as the coils go, only the one coil is iron core, the 6.8mH, which, as I understand, would be a pretty big/expensive coil.

Thanks for the help!!

4. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    I have built the audax surrounds and now I am going to move onto the center channel. I have purchased my Audax drivers from Q-Components and I must say there customer service is excellent.
    As for components -=-do not go cheap-=- I used air core inductors, wire wound resistors and PE caps all from Solen.
    I opped to stay away from q-conponents crossover parts because they didnt offer the performance or quality that Solen parts offered.
    Again I suggest going with the Audax HT set I love my surrounds and dont think that you can get better bang for the buck.
    If ya want pictures and a cost sheet email me
    [email protected]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Stay away from electrolytics (especially in the tweeter crossover section). You can get away with electrolytics for the low end bass/woofer crossover section.

If you can afford it, do use the polypropylene caps (Solen, Bennic, Dayton) are all pretty affordable (from Madisound and Parts Express).