What's new

International Canyon Passage Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Panamint Cinema

Insider
Real Name
Russell Cowe
Panamint Cinema is pleased to announce that the classic Western "Canyon Passage" (Jacques Tourneur, 1946) will be released on Blu-ray Region B on August 15th.

Special features: Subtitles in English for deaf and hard of hearing; 16 page illustrated booklet; Universal newsreels freshly transferred in HD from 1946, including the premiere of "Canyon Passage" and RAF Squadron 35 flying over New York with 16 Lancaster Bombers to begin a tour of the USA; four contemporary radio shows featuring the stars: Dana Andrews, Hoagy Carmichael, Brian Donlevy and Susan Hayward. Reversible inlay based on original French and German posters.

You may now pre-order at: http://panamint.co.uk/canyon-passage-blu-ray-10695-p.asp for shipping by August 15th.

Russell Cowe, Panamint Cinema

Attachments

• canyon-passage-press-release.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 414

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
My birthday is August 14th. I've bought this disc as a present to myself!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I might just have to blind-buy this. The technicolor cinematography looks gorgeous, and somewhat atypical for a western. I like that you're including contemporary newsreels and related radio shows, I always appreciate the inclusion of material like that.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It is a gorgeously photographed western and the Blu-ray is very good. A full review will be posted shortly.

Yes, it's a very good disc of a very good film. I've watched it twice already. I'll read your review with interest.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm wondering how this new issue compares with the earlier Koch release.

Here's one review of the Panmint release from the Beaver website.
The screen captures there of the Panamint release alarm me as they appear rather dark and dingy compared to the earlier DVD release.

I'm heartened by Robin9's opinion and look forward to Gallagher's full review of the new Panamint release.

Don't take any notice of DVD Beaver's screen caps for this or any other film. He has a wonderful way of making DVD caps look better than Blu-ray caps! I can't say how Panamint's disc compares with Koch's because I haven't seen the German disc. It's probable they're pretty much the same.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't take any notice of DVD Beaver's screen caps for this or any other film. He has a wonderful way of making DVD caps look better than Blu-ray caps! I can't say how Panamint's disc compares with Koch's because I haven't seen the German disc. It's probable they're pretty much the same.
This is another personal favorite film of mine so once the Panamint's disc arrives, I'll compare it to Koch's disc, but not until I watch Panamint's disc in its entirety.:)

Panamint Cinema

Insider
Real Name
Russell Cowe
Reading the DVD Beaver review it seems the difference in the US DVD release was in the quality of the source material used to create the master.

The HD 1080 PSF / 23.98 master we used was produced by Universal in 2009. The opening title sequence had been down-scaled to avoid side-cropping on 1.33:1 CRT TVs, leaving black bars top and bottom, so we upscaled this to 1.37:1 full screen to match the rest of the film. No other changes/edits were made and the master was encoded by Quadrille Media, Edinburgh, using Scenarist, in 1080p AVC with LPCM 2.0 mono lossless audio.

I was unable to find the radio version produced in the Hedda Hopper Hollywood Show, despite extensive searches, but decided to include four programmes made around the same time as "Canyon Passage" featuring the four principal stars.

Russell Cowe, Panamint Cinema

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is another personal favorite film of mine so once the Panamint's disc arrives, I'll compare it to Koch's disc, but not until I watch Panamint's disc in its entirety.:)
Today, I received Panamint's release and viewed the disc in its entirety. I did some spot comparisons between it and Koch's BD release. Initially, both video presentations look the same to me, but I'm going to try a more in-depth comparison later this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks