What's new

Canton Speakers? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I own a pair of Canton Ergo 90 and they are some of the best speakers I've ever owned a very rich very full sound. I never hear any mention of Canton speakers whatsoever on this board. Has anybody else ever demoed or owned a pair of Canton speakers and can share any experiences with them?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
JohnnyN,

I recall reading your posts in the archives about owning the Ergo 90s as mains. I thought at one time your were trying to timber match the rest of your speakers, B&Ws I believe. Did you change your mind on that, or are you just curious about Canton speakers?

BTW, I own Ergo 92 DCs for my mains and sides, along with the Ergo CM51 for the center speaker. My wife and I think they sound great! We have had them in our system for two years.

Michael

P.S. What is the finish of your Ergo 90s and how long have you owned them?

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I stuck w/ the canton ergos as my mains for a while until i could afford to buy the B&W 9NT to match the rest of the B&W Speakers in my main theater set up. I've since retired the the Cantons to 2 ch music only setup downstairs. I was just curious why I hear almost every other brand of speaker mentioned on this forum but I never hear Canton's mentioned... I think Cantons are great speakers.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"I was just curious why I hear almost every other brand of speaker mentioned on this forum but I never hear Canton's mentioned..."

It is most likely because Cantons are quite a bit more expensive in the US than in Europe, plus they are not well distributed in the US. That's unfortunate, because they are well made speakers, although I do have to admit I much prefer the Ergo line over the Karat line.

The sad part is that Canton speakers typically end up in mid-fi shops paired with mid-fi receivers. Cantons are generally a tough speaker to drive, but once you pass a given power point, they really start to shine. Most Canton speakers, especially their floorstanders, sound conjested with receivers. An amp capable of delivering a solid 4 ohm load (and even lower) is necessary for the Cantons to sound their best.

One common criticism of Canton speakers is that they are considered bright. I guess one person's bright is another person's detailed and revealing. Mind you, most of these "bright" opinions are based on hearing them in the mid-fi shops I mentioned before. Also, Canton speakers take a long time to break in, longer than most speakers I have ever encountered.

Michael

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Michael I agree with you on every point, but sound quality wise my broken in Ergo 90's are such a joy to hear... would you say the sound stage is slightly forward and not to wide not to narrow... this is at about 12-14 feet dead center with speakers placed about 10-12 feet apart toed in. ???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks