What's new

Canton speakers, I don't hear much about them here... (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Is there a reason for that? I just checked out a store today that sold Jamo's, B&K, Polk, Mission and Cantons, but I really don't know about them. (The Cantons)
They were having huge (seemingly) discounts...I read over the manuals, and these things speakers seem pretty power hungry, I don't know if I'd be able to power them adequately.
So, I was wondering if you all could tell me whatever you know about them, any opinions or reviews, and lastly:
Would $750 be a good price for a pair of Canton Ergo 122's? They were originally like $1500 or something like that...the webpage is usa.canton.de, and they have a new line (the reason for the price drop), but the 122's should be the equivalent to the 1200's, and they said there weren't any big changes done.
Thanks all, I hope to hear some good things, but anything is welcome. :)
Edit: Found a product link for the Ergo 122s

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
my dad just recently bought a pair of LE107s. they are decent. not unbelievably great, but they are good enough for him. they seemed very bright to me though.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I dunno, I thought they were some really nice speakers, and not to go by just the price, but the 107's are listed at 750 on their page, and the 122s are listed at 3000.
I hope there's some interest in this forum...if just two people want a pair, I can afford them soon. :)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it was here or somewhere else, but I've heard of them...I put up a post on audiogon to see if there's any interest, and I've gotten 20 looks in the last hour.
Hopefully someone wants a pair, cuz that means I'm just that much closer to being able to afford them. :)
I dunno, they look well made, they're made in Germany, the numbers are good and they SOUNDED good to me. Granted, I haven't auditioned them long, but hey. ^_^

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I just did a quick search, and at least one person on here has them, and numerous people have listed Cantons in a list of "highly respected" speakers, so I think they're decently well known...
This store that's selling them, they sell other pretty high-end, lesser-seen speakers, so I'd suspect that Canton's just in line with that.
I'm praying that someone's gonna PM or email me soon today. :)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The main issue about Canton speakers is that they are not an easy load to drive. The specs claim 4-8 ohms, but they should be treated like 4 ohm speakers. As such, driving them with a receiver is not going to make them sound their best. While this can also be said for many, high-quality speakers, this is a necessity with the Cantons. The fact that many dealers pair the Cantons with a receiver in their stores is an outright sin in my book!
The Canton Ergo 122s in question ran $3000 per pair new, so if the offer is $750 per pair, that is an outstanding offer. If it is $1500 per pair ($750 each), then it is still a good deal, but at that cost you might have other options. The Ergo 122s are going to be extremely power hungry, as would be expected with dual 10" woofers and a 6.5" midrange. Anything less than 200 W/ch is not worth the effort with the Cantons.
The Ergos tend to be very musical, but revealing speakers. When paired with a mid-fi receiver or low-powered amp, they can come off as a bit thin, and for some bright. When paired with a high-powered amp, they are very dynamic speakers. Very good for both music and movies.
Michael
P.S. Joe, did they have some Ergo 92s (new or demo) on sale for a deep discount? They are a bit easier to drive than the Ergo 122s and with its smaller size tends to be more acceptable to a spouse. And if the the 92s are on sale and they will ship out-of-state, give me their phone number! ;)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I am a Canton Ergo owner, have been for about 2.5 years. I have the Ergo 92s for both the mains and the rears. My center is the Ergo CM51, which is similar to the Ergo CM52, except that the CM51 has an additional 4" midrange element. No Canton sub, just two ACI Titan II LEs. :) :) :)
Michael

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
hehe, sure thing Michael, I know they had the 92s, but I'll ask if they will ship out of state. You might want to PM me, as I have a lot going on right now. I'll be out of town for most of tomorrow and Saturday (Incubus concert on the opposite side of the state), but I'll give them a call and reply to your PM before I leave tomorrow. Talk to you soon!

And keep those replies coming, I want to know, I want to know!

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Well apparently someone likes them, cuz I've received 3 offers already from Audiogon! (One was a real lowball tho, pissed me off)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
If the prices listed on Audiogon are for the pair, then they are an outstanding deal. If it is for each speaker separately, then I have actually seen better prices for Canton speakers online before.

So, how much profit is being made on these deals by the thread starter? I ask this because I am a little concerned that what started out as an inquiry into the lack of dialogue about Canton speakers quickly turned into a "sales pitch" for them. I wonder how close this comes to being a post that crosses the line?

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just noticed before I went on a business trip in the middle of this last week that the prices in this Joe's AudioGon ad had changed. The claim has been that the price discount is more than 50% off retail, i.e. $750 for a pair of speakers that retail for $3000. The initial ad had these lower prices, now they list prices much closer to the retail price of the speakers.
What in the h*** is going on here? A little bit of "bait and switch"? Also, no sooner did this post occur questioning the lack of discussion about Canton speakers that we end up with an amazing offer to purchase them.
While I would love to purchase one more set of Ergo 92s for a 7.1 setup or second 2 channel system, I am not comfortable with the way this was "presented".
Michael
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks