Cantinflas DVDs

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The imminent release of "Around the World in 80 Days" had me thinking about Cantinflas. Has anyone here purchased the box set or otherwise viewed the Columbia DVDs of "El Padrecito", "Su Excelencia", "El Bolero de Raquel", and/or "El Analfabeto". I'm considering either picking up the box or maybe just the first two I listed. Any opinions?

Regards,

Rolando

Screenwriter
WHOA! I never knew these existed on DVD. Are they R1? I too want to know about the quality and such.

actually most importantly are they in the original Spanish and OAR.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
As a hispanic, I'm ashamed to say I wasn't even aware those were available! I will rectify ASAP

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
If these are decent quality, I've just found my Father's Day gift for my dad! He's got a huge collection of Cantinflas on VHS, so this'll be great. Thanks for asking the question, Ken!

So, has anybody watched these DVDs?

[crickets]

Anyone?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My understanding is that they are all R1, 16:9 enhanced, and Spanish with subtitles. I don't know much beyond that. My Spanish is terrible, but my wife is a high school Spanish teacher. I saw a lot of Cantinflas films while we were staying in Querétaro one summer while she was taking graduate classes.

Regards,

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Thanks for the links, Ken
I kept wondering how Cantinflas' humor goes over with English-speaking audiences, so the reviews were a very nice read

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I bought the Cantinflas set as soon as it came out and all I can say is... buy it!!! The subtitles were pretty good, I thought (I understand Spanish well enough to compare the spoken dialogue to the subtitles... wish I could say the same about Cantonese or Mandarin!)

I wish more Cantinflas was on the way! Besides Around the World in 80 Days, that is.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
How about PEPE? That was Cantiflas' follow up film to "Around the World in 80 Days". It had a cameo star list longer than ATWI80D. About a year ago the American Cinemateque in Hollywood showed a restored stereo print of the uncut version.
The movie is owned by Columbia/Sony. I sure wish they would release it. (uncut and letterboxed) Its alot of fun.

TedD

Supporting Actor
I would certainly like to see Pepe released. It's been a long time since I saw it....

It was a 4 track Magnetic print which was a rarity from Columbia, at least in Hawaii.

Ted

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kursidbneha