Can't wait to hear an AJA multichannel mix!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Feb 16, 2003.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Whichever format it comes out in. I had the pleasure of hearing THE NIGHTFLY DVD-A and thought Elliot Scheiner did an excellent mix.

Recently I got to watch the DVD Steely Dan-Classic Albums- AJA. When i heard Becker and Fagen isolating the different sections of the songs (backing vocals, drumbeats, basslines, solos, etc) I got really excited about the surround possibilities! This kinda album just lends itself to a multichannel mix.

Anyone else with me on this?

David

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I'm with you. I just wish Universal would give us some Steely Dan on hi-rez. I figure Universal would probably go with SACD over DVD-Audio, but that's just speculation. Universal announced many months ago that Gaucho would be released on SACD. We haven't seen it yet. I'd be falling over myself to get Aja on SACD.

3. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

Well they need to find the multi-track master for the song Aja, they have gone missing. They were preparing a DTS cd and found that they were missing. That was 5 years ago so maybe someone has found them.

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Another major vote for a hi-rez Aja. By the way, David, how is that Aja Classic Albums DVD? It's on my buy list but haven't gotten to it yet (only own one of these so far - Who's Next).

Thanks.

Doug

5. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

It will be well worth your money! It's very informative. Has interviews with the "Dan" along with some of the musicians that played on the tracks, producer,engineer and the like. And to listen to them bring up individual highlights from the multitrack master will whet your appetite for a multichannel mix!

David

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Anybody own Gaucho on DTS Entertainment's "5.1 music disc"? If so, how does it sound? Thanks.

LJ

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Lance, the DTS of Gaucho is very nice. Most DTS mixes are rather aggressive, but this one makes sense.

I own quite a few titles from the Classic Album Series and Aja is easily my favorite one.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, I too own the DTS CD of Gaucho, and it is a winner. The mix is not overly agressive. On top of that, this is among the best-sounding DTS CDs I have (small collection).

9. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

Sorry bad post

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I also recommend the "Gaucho" DTS CD. I have about 15 DTS CDs and this is the one that has gotten the most play by far. It sounds wonderful and the multichannel is neato.

11. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

There has been a rumor floating around that "Aja" will eventually be released as a SACD Multi-Channel disc.

Hopefully it comes out here in the U.S. and I won't have to import it from Europe like I did Bryan Ferry's Frantic.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Aja is my favorite Steely Dan album, so I would love to see it on a high-res format. This band's music really shines on a quality sound system, and the last CD remaster of Aja is one of my favorites to spin on my main system.

I'll also throw my hat in on recommending the DTS CD version of Gaucho. I only purchased a few DTS CD's, and this is the only title that still has replay value for me.