Can't visit some sites??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott L, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

This is a weird problemn. Just yesterday the sites I usually visit won't load for me. These are the main two:

www.google.com - can get to the main page fine, but clicking search just leaves my browser hanging. I always Google search, was doing it 2 days ago even.

www.yahoo.com - same thing, can get to homepage but clicking on auctions does nothing

Also happens on a videogame BBS I visit, can't navigate to the specific forum sections.

This happens on 3 separate computers in my house. I turned off the router and plugged it back in again, didn't help. Reverted the HOST file back to stock on each, also nothing. Weird huh? [​IMG] Please give me any suggestions to fix this. I use Comcast cable.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

This is a weird problemn. Just yesterday the sites I usually visit won't load for me. These are the main two:

www.google.com - can get to the main page fine, but clicking search just leaves my browser hanging. I always Google search, was doing it 2 days ago even.

www.yahoo.com - same thing, can get to homepage but clicking on auctions does nothing

Also happens on a videogame BBS I visit, can't navigate to the specific forum sections.

This happens on 3 separate computers in my house. I turned off the router and plugged it back in again, didn't help. Reverted the HOST file back to stock on each, also nothing. Weird huh? [​IMG] Please give me any suggestions to fix this. I use Comcast cable.

3. Bob_C

Bob_C Agent

I can't speak about yahoo, but I couldn't use google yesterday either. Maybe the site was down. It seems fine today, though.

4. Bob_C

Bob_C Agent

I can't speak about yahoo, but I couldn't use google yesterday either. Maybe the site was down. It seems fine today, though.

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Apparently someone hit Akamai with a DDoS attack, which in turn hit Google and Yahoo. These were the 2 biggest sites that were temporarily taken down. Apple was also hit with this. Akamai is a pretty big company.

Story here This was from Tuesday, and at the bottom of the article, it states that not many people were affect on people. I think the problem escalated Thursday morning when you started noticing the hang ups. So there is nothing you can do, just wait til the internet cleans up a bit.

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Apparently someone hit Akamai with a DDoS attack, which in turn hit Google and Yahoo. These were the 2 biggest sites that were temporarily taken down. Apple was also hit with this. Akamai is a pretty big company.

Story here This was from Tuesday, and at the bottom of the article, it states that not many people were affect on people. I think the problem escalated Thursday morning when you started noticing the hang ups. So there is nothing you can do, just wait til the internet cleans up a bit.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ok it seems I can get to the pages if I right click on the link and Open in new Window.

Geez this sucks. [​IMG]

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ok it seems I can get to the pages if I right click on the link and Open in new Window.

Geez this sucks. [​IMG]

9. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I haven't had any problems at all the since Friday. I don't use Yahoo, but I've used google to search, and gmail without a glitch. I guess it's just the part of the country you're from, or you might want to try deleting your cache.

I can even use yahoo and google to get the stories about it.

Money.cnn.com story
    Infoworld.com story

10. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I haven't had any problems at all the since Friday. I don't use Yahoo, but I've used google to search, and gmail without a glitch. I guess it's just the part of the country you're from, or you might want to try deleting your cache.

I can even use yahoo and google to get the stories about it.

Money.cnn.com story
    Infoworld.com story

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for all your help Greg. After 3 days it magically works again. Funny thing was the videogame site I go to doesn't seem to be affiliated with Akamai in any way since it doesn't have banner ads. Thanks again. [​IMG]

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for all your help Greg. After 3 days it magically works again. Funny thing was the videogame site I go to doesn't seem to be affiliated with Akamai in any way since it doesn't have banner ads. Thanks again. [​IMG]