Can't uninstall Firefox....please help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    My Mozilla Firefox died this morning and I tried to uninstall it, but there is NO uninstall system and it isn't even in my ADD/REMOVE section.

Any ideas how to completely delete it from my system?

Using XP SP2

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Try to install it again and then uninstall it.

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I don't think Firefox actually "installs" itself. It's just an executible that you run. Removing it involves deleting the files or directory. At least that is how Firebird (it's predecessor) behaves.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Firefox is in my list of programs when I open up "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    I bit the bullet and installed the latest Firefox and it now works and is finally listed in my ADD/REMOVE.

Thanks for the input folks.

6. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

FireFox has both an installer, and one that you just extract and use. So you must have used that one that extracted only. Deleting it's directory (example C:FireFox), when this is deleted, it's completely gone.
    It's in I believe "all" of the Mozilla software "readme" files to remove old before installing newer version.

Delete were you put FireFox, install or extract again and all should work again.
    Just in case, look into it's directory and find your bookmarks in there, copy them somewhere else. Then put them back when new is working.

So if you end up getting the Extracting one again, just right click, and extract. Inside folder created, you'll find "FireFox.exe", double click and your browsing.
    Right click on that, and Create Shortcut, move Shortcut to your desktop and done.