Can't timeshift with DirecTV!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul J, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Paul J

Paul J Auditioning

Hi:
    I currently have DirecTV and Pegasus is my provider for about 2 months. However, I am not able to get 'EAST' or 'WEST' stations like FOX EAST or FOX WEST. I thought 'time shifting' was the advantage in going satellite. I tried to get Pegasus to submit waivers to the broadcast stations and all have been denied. Before I went satellite, being that cable is unavailable in my new development area I tried a simple antenna but could not receive local ABC, CBS or FOX stations well. I researched DirecTV and opted to purchase the satellite local station plan in Dallas. It's really confusing why I can't get EAST or WEST stations especially after I pay to get local stations. I believe the logic is that local stations want you to watch ‘local’ commercials. I don’t want to sound too harsh but I feel helpless that I don’t have the freedom to watch what I should have the ability to watch.
    Anyone have any ideas on how get EAST and WEST stations.
    Thanks.
    Paul J

2. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

Federal law allows anybody to receive their local stations - which you seem to have.
    Federal law only allows a select few to receiver out of market (OOM) networks. You have to not receive any station of that network with a grade B signal or better to be eligible to get OOM networks. If you disagree with the DirecTV's prediction of your signal strength you can ask DTV to apply for a waiver from the station. If they feel you can not get a good signal they will grant a waiver - talking to the station directly will give you a hint.
    Other exceptions include RV owners, commercial drivers licence holders.
    Remember it is not your billing address that determines your eligibility, it is the physical location of your receiver (if you have a vacation home).
    Lastly you can get a lot of OOM networks if you subsribe to a Canadian DBS system like ExpressVu or StarChoice.

3. Paul J

Paul J Auditioning

Bob:
    Thank you for your explanation. I am originally from Canada and moved into the Dallas area 6 months ago. I was under the impression that I would be able to ‘time shift’ with DirecTV but was surprised to know that this was not the case. Canada has some really strict content laws, but I didn’t realize that the U.S did also. I would like to write to the broadcast station and state my concerns. Do you have the addresses? Do I have a ‘grade B’ signal? Don’t know. Can you qualify what a ‘grade B’ signal is. If you could point me to a web site defining this information, it would be greatly appreciated. Looks like I need a vacation home somewhere, correct?

4. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Bob said:
    "Lastly you can get a lot of OOM networks if you subsribe to a Canadian DBS system like ExpressVu or StarChoice."
    I am intriqued by this statement. Can you tell me how a DirecTV customer would go about subbing to one of these Canadian services? And can I receive them with my basic vanilla DTV dish and receiver?
    Thanks,
    Deborah
    ------------------

5. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

I realized later that my question above was pretty dumb. Clearly you would need to buy and install the equipment from one of these Canadian companies in order to sub to their service. So, I guess my question now is, how does/can one go about doing this in the USA? I would think it would not be legal, but perhaps I am wrong about this. Maybe this is one of those things you can only do with one of those really big dishes that I see around? I have never really been sure what those dishes receive or how they work.
    Thanks,
    Deborah
    ------------------