What's new

Can't take it anymore, need help!!! (1 Viewer)

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Reading all of the posts here, the only conclusion that I have come to is that I need help. I would like to spend around $2k give or take on a 16:9 display device - either direct view or RPTV. I'm leaning toward the RPTV because I really like the effect of the large screen. My dvd player will be a Denon 1600(should be here any day now) and I've also got an X-box. I like what I've read about the Mits sets, as well as the Toshiba's. I do watch a lot of plain old cable TV too, but the 16:9 set would make me love my DVDs that much more. Thanks in advance!!!! Also, if you could guess-timate would I SHOULD be paying for such an item, that would help too. Again, thanks!

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm no expert of this issue, but i'm in the same boat as you and I have been following alot of threads on this topic. What I have come up with is that the Tosh has a MUCH better strect for 4:3 programs than the Mits. And you said you watch alot of regular cable (like me) the Tosh might be the best bet. Whatever T.V. you end up with EVERYBODY recommends calibrating w/the Avia or a disc like that. Or you could just splurge and get it professionally done :D!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Lynn, Jason: The 47-inch Panasonic 16:9 RPTV seems tailor-made for both of you. I've seen these things in action. Very impressive once they have been reigned in from their factory default settings. High-def glory awaits both of you.

Toshiba is also magnificent--the firm brings accurate color-decoding to the table. Of all the major mass-market OEMs, Toshiba wins me over time after time.

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you VERY much for the recommendation. I've seen a few in action, and was really leaning towards the Toshiba. I'm about to have a big knee surgery here, so maybe I'll be lucky enough pick one up just in time for me to enjoy it for a while! Thanks again.

AngioDan

Grip
The Samsung HCL473W/HCL4715W are also very good. I have been happy with my 473. Both under $2000, with a 1 year warranty.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nick--I don't have it memorized offhand, but it starts with PT-47. There have been many glowing comments about this deserving RPTV here in this section--try starting your search with "Panasonic PT-47" and see what happens. Another thing to remember is that when this set was released last year, it made history for being the first native 16:9 HD-capable RPTV available for under $2,000. What's more, it's no stripped-down, cost-cutting compromise; The Perfect Vision was ecstatic about the display in its review. Even better, you should find it at really good prices.

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Low and behold! They have it(Panasonic) at my local Costco right now for $1599!!! Pickin' that sucker up this weekend, and the dvd player will be here Monday(tried today, no one around). Can't wait for progressive dvd's!!! Thanks again, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations, Lynn, and we would appreciate a full report once you've tweaked the set to reasonable levels. Think you might want to give the Imaging Science Foundation a ring?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Why don't I hear much about the PT-56WX51? Is it just because it's more expensive and doesn't fit into budget? I would assume it's just as good as the 47" right... just bigger?

Lynn Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm SET!!! The Panny 47wx49 is fantastic! I'm quite a lucky person to have this set recommended to me. Just used the tweaks on Brett's Panny site as a baseline, then made a couple of changes, and I'm pretty content. Not gonna open it up just yet, or have ISF visit...maybe down the road. I just picked up my new Denon 1600 dvd player from my mom's tonight, and now I'm watching progressive dvd's!!! OH...MY...GOD!!! I'm in heaven here. I kid you not. I only started LEARNING about home theater in November. Now, I've got my entire system set for a time to come.

Panasonic 47WX49 RPTV

Denon 1802 receiver

Denon 1600 dvd/dvd-a player

X-Box

and the PRIDE of my system - M&K 750THX speaker system.

Seriously, just by reading this site(and AVS a little), I've made these decisions, and couldn't be happier - THANKS! What a great hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks