What's new

Can't Stop The Music on DVD April 16th (1 Viewer)

As my High school metal shop teacher use to say “Holly Hanna bell”

On April 16th, almost 22 years since its theatrical debut, Can’t Stop The Music finally arrivers on DVD compliments of the fine folks over at Anchor Bay!!!!!

I can’t wait! The movie is so bad it’s great!

I’ve been trying to buy the laserdisc from Japan since ’91. No more!!

This masterpiece will be 2.35:1 16x9 and best of all, 5.1 Dolby Digital EX & 6.1 DTS ES…..

It will also contain “The Village People Story” photo essay, theatrical trailer & production stills.

First Frankenhooker, then Nekromantik, and now THIS!!! What’s next, a Criterion edition of People under the stairs? I love it…

Why should you buy it or care?

For your next Bad Movie Night.

See Bruce Jenner before he went under the knife.

Valerie Perrine topless in a hot tub.

The awesome acting. I ment awful acting.

EBay! If a used p&s vhs copy sells for $20 imagine how much you’ll get for this.

I’ll have a review up on April 17th or 18th.

I don’t expect this one to be in print long so get it while you can….

Jerry

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If I hadn't already gotten a DVD player, I'd buy one just for this! This is one of the greatest films ever made, and sadly has had the worst treatment on video- the VHS copy I have is pan and scan and MONO, while this was released in 70mm with 6-track Dolby. I just hope Anchor Bay doesn't mess with the sound like they've done on some of their other discs. Wonder if they'll include anything about the Baskin-Robbins Flavor-Of-The-Month tie-in, "Can't Stop The Nuts"?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This is a VERY fun film, and as a child of the disco era I will be picking it up day-and date.
Valerie Perrine topless in a hot tub.
Yum. But for a beter look at her sans top, I suggest you get a much better film, releasing to DVD on the same day: Lenny.
I have seen it and it was a great flick. Get both, enjoy Valerie's boobs (they're very nice), enjoy the disco, and also enjoy the touching real-life story of a very funny man. For more about the latter, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005V9HM/qid=1014634484/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-0535682-3056641 YOU can't stop the music! No-BODY can stop the music... Link Removed

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I remember people being pretty shocked to learn that the Village People were Gay. All I have to say is, watch this movie! There are so many Homoerotic undertones that you could play a drinking game! It's great!!! I've never seen the film in OAR, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I have yet to find anyone who can get through this movie without at least one genuine belly laugh. THANK YOU ANCHOR BAY!!!

"The 70s are dead and gone. The 80s are going to be something wonderfully new and different, and so am I."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The Village People were Gay! :eek: I don't believe it. Next you'll tell me that Liberace and Melissa Etheridge weren't/aren't straight, either!!!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
We have "Saturday Night Fever" and this... all we need now is Columbia to release "Thank God It's Friday" and finish the trio :D
Are you listening Columbia??????

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I wrote the liner notes for this disc and have seen the transfer. All I can say is, get ready to crap your pants, it looks that good. Sound's fantastic, too.

The true disco mega-disaster that's missing from DVD is Menahem Golan's THE APPLE, which apparently MGM owns. I doubt it'll ever happen, but that's a release that I've long been praying for.

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Oddly enough and contrary to popular belief, the only member of VP that may have actually been gay was Felipe Rose (the "Indian"). The rest were highly-orchestrated opportunists who kept their sexual preference a secret lest they alienate their gay club following and kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

The details are in an article written by Pete Silverton in his article titled " All the young dudes" in the March 1998 issue of MOJO.

Still, it'll be great to see this with the proper treatment.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Eh, What the Hell...

I'll bite. This is an incredibly cheesy movie, from what I heard, and I like cheesy movies (I always enjoyed watching "MST3K").

This movie sucks in P&S. You see it that way on AMC, and brother, you're in for an eyesore.

By the way, this question is for Matthew Kiernan:

When the movie opens, what logo does it open with? Since "Can't Stop The Music" is in the possesion of Studio Canal, is that the logo that comes before the movie?

Sincerely,

John "I only ask because that is a cool logo" Kilduff

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Can't Stop The Music, I saw this a month ago on AMC (in a horrible pan and scan transfer, but I did like the film for what it is, a cheesy b-movie :D) during late night and does anybody know the song the construction worker (I think) sings early on during his pseudo-music video/dream sequence? :)

Thanks everyone for posting your comments.

Very funny stuff.

I have a few Q&A’s for the two Matthews.

First for Matthew Kierrn.

Very cool you wrote the liner notes for the disc. Do work for Anchor bay or do you freelance? An audio commentary from Randy Jones (original Cowboy) would have made the disc 100% complete.

As far as Disco Disasters goes I would have to say “Skate Town USA” to be the ultimate mock fest.

John Kilduff brought up a good point about the logo. Looking at the box art, Anchor Bay did not use the original logo from 1980.

Matthew Chmiel: the song David Hodo sings is called “I love you to death” Track 9 on the OST.

As far as the gay/straight thing goes it is forbidden to talk about as far as Henri Belolo at Can’t Stop Productions is concerned. Anyone who seen the E True Hollywood Story knows what I’m talking about. He was a super control freak.

In case you don’t know, the original biker, Glenn Hughes, passed away last year.

Thank you Anchor Bay!!!!

Jerry R

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I preordered this baby, post haste! This is my favorite party movie ever. It's so bad/good that I don't think the 'Bots would touch it. It speaks for itself.

As far as only one of them being Homosexual. Uh....oooookay. Honestly, if that were true, I'd be sorely disappointed as CSTM is one of the first truly proud Gay movies. Older films tended to portray Homosexuals as either comic relief or villainous without truly touching on the Gay lifestyle and culture. CSTM, though it is by no means a good movie, is a fantastic Gay fantasia!

Gotta go "Do the Milkshake!"

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
From what I understand the Cop was the only one who wasn't gay but only post disco era did the Indian (Rose) come out in public. The rest were assumed or hinted at. An interview with Hughes (Biker) once quoted him as saying that he was "just another gay man", and I have heard of people who personally knew Hodo (Construction Worker) and Rose so as far as they were concerned, all were gay. If Jones (Cowboy) wasn't I would be surprised but he went into seculsion and apparently doesn't want anything to do with the Village people?

A little bit of extremely hard to find trivia. Many moons ago Casey Kasem and the American Top 40 radio show was doing a special about the time the Millie Vanillie scandal came about and said that back during the disco era, many groups were "stage dressing" and lip synched their songs who were actually sung by other uncredited people. In this case, the Villiage People could not carry a tune themselves on stage but it was Todd Rundgren's group Utopia who did the actual singing and he cited the song "Bang The Drum All Day" as the spoiler.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
In reference to the questions asked me, the disc opens with the Studio Canal logo and then goes straight into the film, although the trailer does show the EMI logo.
I'm not an employee of Anchor Bay and do not lay claim to be one, so there is no confusion. I'm a freelance journalist and DVD critic (you can find some of my reviews and articles on www.fangoria.com) and was more than pleased to contribute the notes to CAN'T STOP.
I did suggest to my contact at Anchor Bay that a cast reunion commentary would be a great idea (suggesting myself as moderator, of course), but nothing ever came of it. Ce la vie.
I know that Victor Willis, the VP's first cop, was married to Phylicia Allen (later Phylicia Rashad of THE COSBY SHOW) at the time, so at least one of the VP's was straight, or at least had himself a very nice beard.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Any Film directed by Rosie (Nancy Walker) belongs in my DVD collection.

kd

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The VHS copy I have (original Thorn/EMI) appears to have an opening studio logo at the beginning of the movie, but the screen is blacked out, we just get to hear the cheesy music.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Kim Donald:
You beat me to the punch. Although I was going to say:
Any movie directed by Rhoda's mother (Nancy Walker) can't be all bad!!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks