Can't start netscape 7.1

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jay H, May 3, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I had a problem with a Worm (Win32/Welchia.B) last week and ever since then I could not start up Netscape. IE 6.0 starts up fine but I can't get NS to even run.

I've checked the shortcut security settings, I've tried to reinstall it (it appears to install fine, but somehow is setup incorrectly). I do not know if the Worm affected NS at all but looking at Semantics website, it doesn't seem like it does but what do I know. I've already disinfected the system and installed all known window updates.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to look at? running Netscp.exe does absolutely nothing, no splash screen, no process in Task Manager, no error message, nothing.

Any ideas what's corrupt? Registry?

Jay

2. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Do Ctrl-Alt-Del and go into the task manager. Look in the processes tab and see if any netscap.exe's are there already. If so, end them all. Then re-try launching Netscape.

NEVERMIND, I just saw the part about 'no processes running'. Good luck !

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Not only is NS 7.1 not running, when I'm in IE 6.0, when I try to open a link in a new window (or popup ads, etc. etc.) I get a blank browser. I have to copy the link and paste it. Kind of like is javascript is messed up somehow. I'm wondering what does IE use for javascript, I know NS has the option of turning it off and stuff. I'm wondering if I could somehow "reinstall" javascript or something like that. Going to have to really look at the services started, I think it's something to do with windows and not NS or IE.. I've reinstalled NS a bunch of times already...

Jay

Update - Wow, cool, fixed the IE problem, I did a google and amazing stumbled onto another forum with a similar problem, I tried their solution, one was to update the URL:Internet Shortcut in the File Types list. This didn't work but I figure I guess I corrected it. The second thing did fix my problem and this was running from the Start menu

"regsvr32 urlmon.dll"

and getting a success dialog box in return.

Then immediately, all my new links in a new window works!!!

I bet something is similar causing NS not to run too. perhaps the Welchia.B worm screwed up some DLL too that NS requires to run. But at least I got IE to work properly, I don't mind IE too much, but I am way more familiar with Netscape. Just don't get me started on MS Outlook!!!

UPDATE- GOD, I love the internet! I fixed Netscape, there is a known bug with the installer's GRE when trying to reinstall NS 7.1 on top of an existing version. I found a Mozilla forum with the same problem and found that if you delete the c:Program FilesCommon FilesMozilla.orgGRE folder

and then reinstall, it works!!! I can now run NS 7.1 and also a working IE6.0 Yippee! Now if I called tech support, they'd come over and defrag my hard drive.

Jay

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

See we the HTF helps you without even helping you.

[​IMG]

Brent