What's new

Can't stand it anymore, please help, what would you do? (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
I have been in the market for a new tv for a couple years. Budget holds me back.

I am inclined towards Plasma or DLP RP or maybe LCD RP. I have ruled out CRT RP because of burn in/small children factor (though I did see a descent looking Panny at Sam's and thought, if I get that I will unload it within 2 years and not care).

My problem is that it seems no matter how long I wait it isn't soon enough. Watching any movie on my old 27" Trinitron isn't cutting anymore. If I wanted to look at something that small 16:9 I'd take up stamp collecting. I haven't even opened my Raiders trilogy because I won't watch it on a small screen (I bought it when it was released!)

Unfortunately I can't spend more than $1500-$2000. I also hesitiate to buy anything without an HD tuner, knowing I will probably regret it withing a couple years.

What would you do?

Cheers.

John S

Senior HTF Member
On your budget, your pretty much going to have to go for CRT RPTV if you want any sort of screen size larger than 40"....

The Tuner thing isn't a big deal, as it is only $200 or so to add one.

What should you do? Get a new large HDTV and watch your Raiders DVD's and enjoy them in their cinematic glory.

I was in the same boat, I bought a CRT RPTV. Best thing I have done for my Home Theater ever. I expect I'll be using the one I got until it dies.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
On your budget, I'd wait. Plasma is not in your price range nor are any decent DLP/LCD RP units. A low end big display will be a disappointment. JMHO
Mort

John S

Senior HTF Member
LOL. well there you have both ends of your spectrum....

Aren't you glad you aksed for advice!! To funny

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
The 46" Pannasonic is a highly reviewed TV, I believe you can find last years model(which ends in X53) for around $1100. It's a great tv and basically you won't go wrong with any decent sub $2000 CRT RPTV. Although you may want to look into FP. Larger size and you can definately get one in that price range. The best would be the Infocus Screenplay 4805 and if you go to the hometheaterforum homepage there's a link on some special htf members only deals. The $1500 package comes with a screen as well as the projector. Just a thought...

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all, so far.

Just as I had expected/feared. I have done a bit of my own research and was hoping I had missed an option. It seems not.

As to the FP. Very attractive BUT no good for TV, necessitates: screen, dark room AND buying a tube or something to watch TV on. Sam's club has the Screenplay 4800 with a screen, whats the difference.

As to the tuner, I suppose that since I eventually plan on upgrading Tivo to a HD version, a tuner for the TV is moot, correct?

Thanks again!

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
Unsure of the exact upgrades from the 4800 to the 4805 but I am under the impression although very few differences, they make quite a bit of difference. And you'd be surprised, I use my Sony VPLHS20 for SDTV alot and it's really not that bad. I've gotten used to it and happen to like it, not to mention when I can get most of my local stations and ESPN and TNT and what not in HDTV(either via satellite or OTA antenna) then it's not too bad considering I watch those stations the most. Although I do have a good selection of TV's around the house to watch if I don't like it. But I'd say go to a local electronics store (Ultimate electronics, home theater store, anywhere that displays FPs) and see how it looks, or you could always buy it and if you don't like it just take it back. Just a thought, but anyways, good luck and keep us posted.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
They have been making RPTV televisions with the same 'burn-in' issue for years but only extreme cases (days of the same station playing 12 hrs per day) cause problems.

Your best bang-for-the-buck is still a big-box RPTV. Some very good Hitachi and Sony units are selling now for about $1100 because of new models coming out.

And the kids - get a plexiglass screen and velcro it to the frame. This technique served me well through the dog/ball/kid phase of my family.

Unless you have line-of-sight to a HDTV feed. (go to www.antennaweb.org) dont worry about the tuner. Many people's best source of HD video is their cable or sat company. The box they provide becomes your tuner.

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
OK as I am desperate I am looking to the CRT RP's. Sams has the Panny PT-53WX54 for $1300. Is there a better set in this oprice range?

My main concern with burn in is standard TV. I hate stretch modes and am concerned that I will burn in the side bars when watchiong standard def shows.

AlbertL

Agent
Having to consider a 53-inch TV, whatever the technology, is hardly a desperate situation :)

There comes a point where there is no substitute for your own subjective comparison. Take a long look at the Panny in the store, and try to compare it to similar sets in your price range. Panny has gotten a lot of good reviews, but so have other sets.

As for burn-in, if you continually watch standard 4:3 shows day in and day out, without stretching it, burn-in may happen eventually. It's a sad but true fact, but it won't happen right away.

Why not set aside your 27 inch TV and watch standard shows on just that set, reserving your big screen for the good stuff and HD feeds? I've become such an HD snob I generally refuse to watch standard def shows at all unless it's on my small set.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I have been the happy owner of a RPTV for over two years now. I own a Panasonic 47wx49, an earlier model of the one you are looking at at sams. Do not be discouraged from CRT RPTVs, they still provide the most bang for the buck.

They get the best black levels of anything out there, provide a great picture, and you can get a large screen size RPTV (65") for less money than a 43" DLP or plasma set.....about $1000 less!

The only minor quibbles about CRT is that they take up more space and weigh more. To me, I do not mind. It means one less piece of furniture to buy to put the set on. CRTs also require the most work to start looking their best. This turns off some people, but I am a freak and enjoy tweaking my set every so often...makes me feel special and that I am getting something most others cant get:)

I would wholeheartedly recommend getting a crt set. I am not knocking plasma, DLP, or LCD. But once you start watching movies on a large set, you wont care too much.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you're interested in plasma there's a Viewsonic 42" ED plasma available from ecost for $2k. It's not HD but will accept HD signals and convert to 480p as well as display the full resolution of progressive scan DVD. It also has a built in tuner for SDTV. If my ebay business hadn't hit snags I probably would have got one of these for use as a computer monitor and bedroom TV.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=489319

If you can control the light in your room I would go w/ the 4805/screen from tvauthority. I still watch SDTV and HDTV on my Panasonic L300U projector and 88" screen and while you can see more of the flaws of an SD broadcast it's still better than a 32" picture from the same distance. It does eat in to your lamp time but at 4hrs a day you're still looking at up to 3yrs on one bulb. If you're worried about lamp then you could probably get the 4805/screen combo and a 32" HD non-flat tube from walmart for right at $2k, or a non HD tube and stay well under budget. Nothing is bigger, thinner, or flatter than FP.

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
How about some recommendations in the 40-50" RP CRT's range?

I'm having a turn around I think.

What's best in the $1000-$1500 range right now?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I would jump on that panasonic at Sams. I love mine to death, and that model I believe is the one with DVI, unlike mine.

Mitsubishi also has very good sets in the price range. Neat thing about Mitsubishi's is they have three component ins, compared to most sets two inputs.

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
OK, between these:

Panny
Sony
Hitachi
Mits

What is best? (I know this is subjective but I'd like some votes anyway)

Who has the best stretch mode? I will watch a fair amount of 4:3 and can;t stand most stretch modes I've seen.

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
I say the best would be a tie between the Hitachi and the Mits.

The new Hitachi 46F510 will retail for about 1499.99, which means you can probably get it for cheaper.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Father John, this has been an agonizing process for you. But, as you can see, your options at $1,300 are quite good.

You also are right to be paranoid about burn-in issues, but you can obviate most of the threat by running a good mix of widescreen and Academy-ratio films and programming while, at the same time, operating your RPTV conservatively (and you know what that means: calibration).

For noncritical-viewing 4:3 programming such as news and fluff programming, using the stretch mode is acceptable (but not when it comes to critical material — that is, TV-on-DVD as well as Academy Ratio films).

Finally, my bedroom system is based on a 27-inch 4:3 Toshiba direct-view set, and I enjoy 2.35:1 films on it very much. It doesn't take much more than a really nice picture for me to be "lost" in the home-cinema experience. To each his or her own, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks