What's new

Can't someone make a decent flat screen TV? (1 Viewer)

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking for a 32" or 36" flat screen, direct view TV for a while now. The Sony WEGA and XBR have geometry problems. The Panasonics have geometry problems. While searching the archives it seems that every flat screen, direct view set has either geometry or color problems. Does anyone know of a flat screen set in the $1500-$2500 price range that doesn't have any problems? I can't go with RPTV because my viewing distance is short. This is driving me nuts!!
Thanks for any help you can give.
Derrick

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Can't someone make a decent flat screen TV?
No. Not gonna happen. But I must admit, my Wega has no geometry problems. It isn't perfect, but it's close to it.
Too bad it has a myriad of OTHER problems! Actually, I'm glad, because it's going back and the 47" Panny is replacing it.
laugh.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
My 36XBR400 that I had delivered in April of this year is near perfect. Image quality is spot on...after tweaks of coarse. Geometry is great and no un-even brightness problem that I have noticed...as others have stated the Sony XBR's seem to be better than the other models in respect to the above mentioned problems.
Randy

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Derrick, you may want to wait to take a look at the new Toshiba 32 inch flat tube direct views (although it seems the 27 inch model has had some geometry problems reported) as well as the Samsung 32 inch HDTV-ready models. This weekend I did a quick survey of 32 inch direct view flat tubes and came up with Panasonic Tau SX and HX series, the Sony Wegas, Samsung (can't recall the model numbers), Toshiba's 32AFX61/32HFX71, the JVC I'Art, and one from Philips.
cheers,
--tom

PascalC

Agent
ThomasL
Do you have any comparison between Sony 32FS13 and the new toshiba 32AFX61
I would like to know if I wait 3 more week for the toshiba or if I get de Sony...
[Edited last by PascalC on August 06, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
You might also want to wait & take a look at the new FLAT RCA's that should be out shortly. I know RCA, but maybe they got it right? :) Who knows until you see the sets.

Dave Ramsey

Auditioning
Just some random thoughts...
I hate to say this but you're living in a dream world if you think your going to find the perfect TV with absolutely no picture anomolies (believe me I know, I went through the same thing when I was searching for a new set). It basically comes down to how critical you are and what you can live with.
The problems you are having with the geometry, are they based only on what you've read about them on various forums, or have you also viewed these sets with your own eyes? Keep in mind, for any given make and model, I don't care if it cost $500 or $5000, there are going to be those are those that are not satisfied or are having problems and will post questions/rants on forums like this one.
Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either Sony or Panasonic, picture quality wise. I would go with the one that has the best price/performance/price range that suits your needs and don't take the comments about geometry, etc. too seriously. It's interesting to read about peoples opinions, but as you have discovered, you can drive yourself crazy worrying about this stuff. If the geometry problems bother you that much, keep in mind the new Toshiba and RCA models will most likely have some kind of picture anamoly also. Again, it all comes down to what you can live with.
Remember, Sony and Panasonic are both top brands that have been top sellers for a long time for a reason. I'm sure the Toshiba and RCA models will be nice too when they come out. But to wait it out in the hopes one of these will be a major improvment is a lost cause. You could be waiting forever. I guarantee as soon as people start buying these new sets, you'll start seeing new posts with people having some kind of problem with the picture, it never fails.
Sorry to ramble on so long. I know this may not be that helpful, but I just had to get that out.
Good luck in your search....
-dr

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen geometry problems on Sony's while demoing them. The picture were bowed to some extent either dead center or at one corner. I realize that no TV will be perfect but I would like to have it be able to produce straight lines. I don't know much about the flat screen technology but it seems strange that you can take 10 sets of the same model and some will have geometry problems and others won't. I haven't seen the Panny's but they seem to have the same random geometry problems. Some people say they're sets are great and others say they went through several.
Derrick G
------------------

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I have been through several. In fact #3 is going back as soon as Sears can order my replacement (Toshiba 50H81).
The Tau is a fine set if you can live with red push and non-linear geometry. The red-push can be lived with but non-linear geometry sucks. As soon as this set does a squeeze for a WS movie the goemetry problems stand out. Same with the other 4x3 flat screens I have seen. You may have better luck with a 16x9?
If you see any of these sets in the store and the geometry issues don't bother you then buy one. Trust me that if you notice it in the store it will annoy at home when your trying to enjoy a movie etc.

Scott_Sl

Auditioning
You know I had big problems with geometry on 2 JVC i'art TV.'s
The first one I returned, the second... I decided to get smart. As I replaced the new TV at Sears I bought the warranty which covers repair and other minor tweeks.
Then I bought the service manual. When I looked at my TV it had a slight bend in the right side a BAD tilt and bad convergence in the bottom right. So I called the repair guys to come out.
First they said "Well Im not sure its really bad and I don't think there's much we can do." Then I showed them the service manual and told them that most of these problems can be fixed. Then they were much more coopertive and impressed. The tilt is very easy to fix in most all TV's unless it glued. The yoke needs to be unscrewed at little and turned. That is it, VERY EASY just like the wegas.
That fixed the tilt. (That was my biggest problem.) Then he checked the convergence. I had a video essentails grid pattern up on the screen showing lots of red in the lower right. Then he noticed one of the magnets wasn't properly secured so he eaised it over a hair and low and behold I could watch the convergence move in to proper place. We then taped it into place to make sure it wouldn't move again. Afterwords I forgot to have him check the black bars again cause now there is a slight dip in the corner. I can live with it.
Perfect, no, but it was WAY worth the time. Next I might do some of the tweeking myself, it looked very easy and the slight dip is growing on me.

BobRy

Auditioning
I just recently bought a Sony KV27FS13 and I have also noticed some geometry problems on the right side and a slight convergence problem in the lower right corner.
I am not sure if I will get used to it or if I will return it. If I return it, I am not sure if I will be able to get another set that is better. The comments here confirm my fears. I just don't have enough information about this stuff. Is this a problem that is likely to get worse as the TV ages? Can I adjust the TV geometry with some service menu without opening up the case?
I bought this set at Circuit City and I was actually worried enough about this that I had them set up the TV in the store first. There was a tilt to the picture but that is somewhat fixable with the tilt correction on the Setup menu. I also saw the minor geometry and convergence problems there... the difficulty is that if I see a problem in the store, do I keep telling them to pull out new TVs out of boxes until one does not have it? How likely is it that they all have it? Or that if I find a set that doesn't have those problems, it's likely to have another problem?
Thanks for any advice,
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks