Can't send emails on Microsoft Outllok

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Karl_Luph, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Ok,obviously I can't spell,lol!Anyway I got a used computer last month,went from Windoews ME to Windows XP and for some reason, I can receive my email on Microsoft Outlook ,just can't reply to it. I keep getting a pop up box that says, Microsoft Outlook could not sign or encrypt this message because you have no certificates which can be used to send from this email address. Ugh!!! How do I fix this. In the meantime I'm using my yahoo and hotmail addy.I'm using Internet Explorer if you are wanting to know that. I'm not very computer savvy, so I thought it best to see if any of the pros here can help me through this, thanks in advance!

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    1) Just to be absolutely clear, are we talking about Outlook, or Outlook Express. They are different programs.

2) Which version do you have?

3) Did the computer just come with the previous owner's programs and settings? Did you get all the original documentation and CDs? (Because if you did, you might want to repartition and reformat the hard drive and do a fresh installation of XP.)

4) While you're in "Help" looking up the version number, do a search on "encryption" and "certificates". It sounds to me like there is a setting in there for the program to use e-mail encryption - probably set by the previous owner. If he or she deleted personal files the encryption certificate may be gone, so the program doesn't have it to send e-mails from the program.

5) The default Outlook profile may be corrupt. Depending on the version of Outlook or Outlook Express there are different ways of dealing with this. If you can provide the details requested I'm sure one of us will be able to help you out.

Regards,

Joe

3. Karl_Luph

Thanks for the help Joe, I have just Outlook and I'm not sure what version it is. How would I find out? As far as I know, the hard drive was reformatted and XP installed. I believe he tried to download the hard drive from my old computer onto this hard drive. Seems like all of my old email didn't get transferred either for some reason. Then we had to set up the email account info again through Birch telecom. Funny I can receive email,just can't send it back to those writing.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Click on "Help" and select "About Outlook" It will give you the version number, and then we can go from there.

Joe

5. Karl_Luph

It's Microsoft Outllok 2002 (10.2627.2625) The Internet Explorer Version is 6.0

6. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

Check under Tools / Options / Security. The first set of options there deal with email security and the last set deals with certificates while the one in the middle deals with the HTML format and security zones. I'd recommend reporting what you find there ....

YMMV

7. Karl_Luph

Thanks Mike, I went to options ,hit the security tab and under the secure email section I don't have the box checked that says encryptcontents &attachments for out going messages. The next two boxes down are_ checked and the bottom one isn't. In the secure content section below this it's set on restricted sites. I wasn't sure if I should open this up. And in the bottom section called digital ID's (certificates) sections I clicked on the button that says import export and it looks like nothing has been entered there. I wasn't sure about the other button that says get a digital ID . Thanks for walking me through this.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    Uncheck the box on the security tab that says "Add digital signature to outgoing messages" That's what is causing your problem. I just activated that option in my copy of Outlook and replicated the message you got. Unchecking the box eliminated the error message. Told you we'd get it. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

9. Karl_Luph

Thanks Joe and Mike,ya'll are fantastic! It took care of it.[​IMG] HTF has the best folks on the net!