Can't seem to get rid of this file

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike LS, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

For the last several months I've had a file in my "My Documents" folder called "rcman.cfg". I delete the file and within a day it's back in the same place.

I've run search after search and on the engines I've searched I get one hit on a message board of someone asking a similar question as me.

I've also searched the symantec virus encyclopedia and get nothing there.

Here's a pic of the folder....hope the size is OK.

[​IMG]

Any ideas as to what this could be? I keep my virus software up to date and do weekly scans.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    do a search across your entire hard drive for 'rcman' without the .cfg and see if anything comes up. its a configuration file for some program most likely. if you do a search, and find something like rcman.hlp or rcman.exe, you know its linked to a particular program. look in your task manager, on the processes tab, and see if theres anything similar listed there.

CJ

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I just did a web search and one site says rcman.exe is Remote Center for the Soundblaster Audigy card. It runs on startup and apparently creates that file when it runs. If you don't need it then you can remove it from startup.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I do have an audigy card, so that's probably it.

I'll check the software and see what I find. Just seems weird that it would place a file in the My Documents folder every time the machine is booted. It's kind of a strange place.