1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can't seem to get 96kHz digital output with RP91 and RX-V3000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by donovan_chin, Aug 21, 2001.

1. donovan_chin

donovan_chin Stunt Coordinator

I just got my RP91N today... WOO HOO!!! So far I love it.
    Anyway, my problem is that I've been trying to play the Se7en opening title sequence with the 24-bit/96kHz audio. I have downsampling set to OFF. However, my Yamaha RX-V3000 still only shows that it is receiving 48kHz.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.
    ~Donovan

2. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Good question Donovan. I have not yet seen my RX-V3000 display that it is receiving 96KHz, but then again I'm not sure that I have any 24/96 material. If Se7en is supposed to be in 24/96, then either the RP91 isn't outputting the 96KHz signal or the Yamaha isn't displaying it correctly.
    Has anyone confirmed a 96KHz digital signal out from the RP91 with any receiver or pre-pro?
    The RX-V3000 does display 88.2KHz when I use the RP91's "remaster" on CD's. However none of the DSP's funtion at 88.2KHz. (Some would say that's a good thing). I'm thinking its a design limitation, but I'm wondering if the unit is OK. Donovan, could you check that out on yours?
    Regards.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

3. donovan_chin

Wayne,
    I check with Yamaha about the DSPs in 88.2kHz mode and they confirmed that they don't work at those frequencies. It is definitely a design limitation.
    ~Donovan

4. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Could it be that the receiver is displaying the actual maximum frequency (96/2 = 48kHz)? That's more than double the frequency of normal CD audio (44/2 = 22kHz).
    Whereas, a 192 DAC would be 96kHz. You have to divide by 2, since it takes an "on" and an "off" to create a waveform.
    Or am I waaaaay off here? [​IMG]
    -Ryan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

It wouldn't make sense that its halving it because a CD PCM signal shows up as 44, and my DVD player that downconverts sends it at 48. I have a RX-V1 and the display should be the same. However, I've never seen that it can accept a 96kHz signal, but if it can receive 88 I'm sure it should receive 96 if its there.

6. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

I don't think so Ryan.
    The Yamaha displays the following bit rates:
    DD 5.1 / DTS 48 KHz
    CD's 44.1 KHz
    "remastered" CD's 88.2 KHz
    I don't think I have any 96 KHz material to try, other than DVD-A which the RP91 down converts before passing it on digitally.
    ------------------
    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Can someone tell me how to access of the 24/96 audio on Se7en? I've looked around on the discs but no reference to it.
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

8. donovan_chin

It in the second (bonus materials) disc.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yes?
    and it's under..........audio mastering or what?
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

10. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

lewis,
    Disc 2, “exploration of opening title sequence” scroll down to “English 24/96 kHz stereo mix, you probably need to set your DVD audio out to “2ch” and receiver to analog bypass.

11. Joseph Kim

Joseph Kim Agent

I have a denon 4800. How do i know if I am receiving a 24/96 signa. I am also using the SE7EN disc. On my dvd player, it reads 96khz. But I'm not sure if the denon is really getting the signal.
    joe

12. John Welch

John Welch Stunt Coordinator

The 4800 will show "Direct 96K AUTO" on it's front panel display when playing back a digital 96Khz signal.

13. Joseph Kim

Joseph Kim Agent

So since my 4800 doesn't show 96k direct, is it defecive?
    joe

14. donovan_chin

Joe,
    Are you using the analog or digital inputs to your receiver from your DVD player?
    ~Donovan

15. Joseph Kim

Joseph Kim Agent

Donavon,
    I am using both. I know I can use the analog outputs, but my reciever is suppose to be capable of doing 24/96 digitally and so is my dvd player (pioneer dv-37).
    joe

16. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

I find it most interesting that everyone has to look at the display to tell the sampling rate. Apparently, the loss of sound quality isn't a sufficient cue. So why does anyone care?
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])

17. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Norm, if you've never heard something at a higher sampling rate, and your receiver gives you no information, you might assume your listening to the higher rate and decide that the higher rates don't matter.
    For what its worth, I saw in a Panansonic manual that if the copyright flag is set it will downconvert 24/96 material. I don't know if that's the case on Se7en or not. I tried a 24/96 DAD disc last night on my Malata connected to a RX-V1 and the display specifically stated 96KHz.