Can't Save eMail Attachment on iPad?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have an iPad 2 and wanted to save an email attachment and could see how to do it. I googled the problem and my research indicates it can't be done. If this is true, why omit such a basic function from the operating system. My OS version it up to something over 9 and because a whole bunch of other people are having the problem, I don't think it's because I haven on an older iPad.

Sheesh!

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
There are a couple things going on, and you've got some options.

In short: iOS is not a conventional file-folder operating system for the user. Files are invisibly managed (for the most part) and associated with their creating / editing app. It's much, much simpler. But it lacks flexibility and some power.

But that's not fully true anymore. With iCloud you can have files in the iCloud folders for a little more organization control and possible access by different applications.

You can also use third-party storage options, particularly DropBox, to manage files in a more conventional manner.

Depending on what the attachment is, you may or may not be able to save it to your iPad. If it's a PC executable (.exe) of course you're out of luck. If it's a PDF or JPG then it can be sent to iBooks or Photos for saving and subsequent access. And that's the general rule: you need an app that uses the file format in order to "save" it.

And if you need to save arbitrary files, install DropBox and you very likely can save it to a DropBox folder of your choosing for later access.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freewheelinhippie